sulphur smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dojack

Junior
Reaction score
I opened my mixed berry carboy and it smells like sulphur, really strong. I have stirred and stirred and poured it from bucket to bucket a few times--so is it a lost cause? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
smiley19.gif

What yeast did you use, im guessing you used Red Star Montrachet and did not use both yeast nutrient and energizer with it. You can stir it a few minutes each day with a copper pipe that is sanitized or some copper wire also sanitized.

I could be wrong but I think thats the Lalvin equivalent of Red Stars Montrachet.

I have the same thing with my peach wine. It was REALLY strong smelling when I racked after fermentation. I wondered if it was ruined. I racked, degassed, and added k-meta and sorbate anyways. It is now one week later and its starting to smell fine.

I used cote des blancs yeast AND neutrient and energizer.

I dont think what you have Goodfella is a H2S problem then as thats usually caused by stressed yeast unless your fermenting temps were way too high or your chem balance was way off. You just might not be used to some of the smells a fruit fermentation can give off.

My fermenting temps were good. I think my chemical balance is good. But the smell was strong.

I didn't get that much smell with the peach port. But the peach wine is a larger batch, and used different yeast.

But like I say, the smell is going away (almost gone)

Back