suggestions for Malbec juice...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Potassium metabisulfite (K meta) is usually added to prevent wild yeasts and other bacteria from ruining the must.

natural yeast is the wild yeast bacteria you find in almost everything.

I think what they mean are the yeasts that are wild in the field clinging to the grape skins....some good and some bad. It's a roll of the dice for an estate to rely solely on wild yeasts. They may not be the right strain, may not tolerate alcohol beyond a certain level etc. But if there are good yeasts, the sense of place is expressed even further as the yeasts are unique to certain areas. An analogy would be that sourdough yeast in San Francisco doesn't match what they can produce on the east coast. Most people prefer to control the yeasts and use strains that will take over and dominate and deliver predictable flavor profiles that will maximize how the wine tastes. Acetobacters are everywhe and that is the one element you DONT want taking over your wine.

The RC 212 was a good choice, it will become the dominant yeast and bring out the characteristics that are desired in this wine.
While you can make very good wine with wild yeast, it will be almost impossible to duplicate, and unlike using certain strains of yeast based on various tolerances and characteristics, wild yeasts are more of a crap shot.

would be nice to know what yeast these manufacturers use and also the initial SG in the juice, they don't print that info on the pails.

would be nice to know what yeast these manufacturers use and also the initial SG in the juice, they don't print that info on the pails.

Geek, I would assume it is Lavlin 1118. This what Luva Bella uses and it makes sense because they would want to make sure you had fermentation and 1118 is an aggressive yeast.

And I would think the sg would be around 1.090. I reserve my buckets and pick them up the first day that they open and they are normally in this range.

Is there a winemaker where you bought your buckets? Talk to him, he is a wealth of information.

Last edited:
I agree with everything Julie said. The pails we pick up are all sugared to 21 brix. I don't see a need for them to list that as it is the very most basic measurement can make. On the other hand...there is a good reason for them to list it as the starting point the pails were started at. The later you pick up your pail the lower that number is going to drop as the juice begins to ferment in the pail. It really doesn't take long. So yes, you're right it would be good to know where it started at.

as you can see I'm rambling and typing as I'm thinking about it.

I agree with Julie, most manufacturers that add yeast will add EC 1118, it is a fail safe yeast, this stuff could ferment a brick!
The pails that I picked up from M&M did not have yeast added, I kind of prefer it this way, but every pail that I purchased in the fall had yeast added.

Yes I can see where not having the yeast added would be preferred but remember you can make a yeast starter and add it, this will take over any yeast that the juice has been inoculated with.

I agree with Julie, most manufacturers that add yeast will add EC 1118, it is a fail safe yeast, this stuff could ferment a brick!
The pails that I picked up from M&M did not have yeast added, I kind of prefer it this way, but every pail that I purchased in the fall had yeast added.

Tom, you don't go to M&M in Hartford, CT....do you?
If you do you gotta make a stop by my house....:dg

Varis,
I was just there on Thursday! I love the place! And right in the same warehouse area there is another shop, Northeast produce and winemaking, their prices on equipment was great, 18 gallon demi johns for 35 dollars, I'm going to have to save up for a crusher/destemmer and press!
Varis, next time I'll bring a bottle or two to sample!

Varis,
I was just there on Thursday! I love the place! And right in the same warehouse area there is another shop, Northeast produce and winemaking, their prices on equipment was great, 18 gallon demi johns for 35 dollars, I'm going to have to save up for a crusher/destemmer and press!
Varis, next time I'll bring a bottle or two to sample!

Deal is on..!!:)

Latest posts

Back