Suggested way to source grapes from locals?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pioneergirl

Reaction score
New to forum and am currently making first kit. But in the area there a lot of small to mid-size wineries and vineyards and many small vitners with their "cellars" in the warehouse type buildings. We would like to make from "local" or semi-local grapes if possible. Preferably just buy in juice stage; but would buy grapes too. I suppose I could and will eventually just ask when we visit; but, if anyone has already done this, would you share what your experience has been? Live in the Boise, "treasure valley", Idaho area and there is Sawtooth, 3 rivers, wildhorse, many other small vitners/wineries.

Welcome to the community.

Get adventurous and stop at a winery or vineyard and introduce yourself. Ask if you can help pick in the fall and perhaps purchase some grapes.

It will be a great learning experience and you may make some more friends and resources along the way.

Steve said it all......knock on the door of these locals...i expect the bounty will be more than you can handle at the start...generous people wine makers/grape growers are

We have found several vineyards in our local area that let you go in and pick. The trouble is finding them!!! We happened to stumble upon them by word of mouth. They aren't even the phone book.

One thing you might try is a Google for you-pick vineyards in your area.

We like working with grapes better than juices. Not saying juice won't work---we just want to start with grapes so that we know what we're working with--adjust our own acids--and being sure no water is added---and know our own meta levels,etc. We are sort of AR about doing our thing our way.

whenever I see a large vineyard I'll go ask the owner right out if there is any possibility of a person being able to pick grapes from them. Look for those using machines to pick with you normally they'll let you get all you want after the pickers get done with machines. Also just ask if you can purchase any from them all they can do is say no. I've got literally tons of grapes bottles you name it just by doing that one thing politely asking if you can get,have or buy. some of the members on here have even benefited from my good fortune on muscadine grapes and other things lol....

Steve said it all......knock on the door of these locals...i expect the bounty will be more than you can handle at the start...generous people wine makers/grape growers are

Like Steve and Al said, "just ask". Winemakers ARE truly generous. Don't be afraid to ask if you could volunteer to work in the winery some day.

Many will also sell you crushed and destemmed, if they crush and destem themselves.

local grapes

And if you are looking for a particular grape cultivar and that vintner does not offer it, they can usually tell you WHO to contact about it. Many vineyards grow all of their own grapes onsite or may even contract with other area farmers to do some additional growing of the grapes for them. Getting to know your local commercial vintners has great benefits too...many times if they are aware you have an interest they will sell you supplies: chemicals, glass, corks, barrels, lab equipment, etc. Many wineries hire their employees from their customer base, people who express an interest in their product and the process; you may start as a volunteer and the next thing you know, they are talking about putting you on payroll!

Back