Sugar Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoodleBug

Reaction score
Will yeast consume natural sugars faster than added sugar?

I wasn't sure if this is the proper place for this question. Mods feel free to move it.

In my experience it appears natural sugars seem to ferment a little bit faster than your raw cane sugar.

vacuumpumpman said:
In my experience it appears natural sugars seem to ferment a little bit faster than your raw cane sugar.

Thanks, I just finished ferment on a 3 gallons of concord-niagra blend and it got me wondering about ferment times with natural sugar as opposed to refined or raw sugar.
I appreciate your input!

Last edited:
What do you mean by natural sugars? Yeast will consume glucose and fructose with the glucose being metabolized a little faster. Sucrose is a molecule containing one glucose and one fructose molecule attached together. They will break apart in an acidic environment like grape must. Yeast can't tell the difference if the sugars come from the fruit or from refined cane or beet sugar. The molecules are the same. The only difference may be how quickly the sucrose inverts to the individual sugars.

GreginND said:
What do you mean by natural sugars? Yeast will consume glucose and fructose with the glucose being metabolized a little faster. Sucrose is a molecule containing one glucose and one fructose molecule attached together. They will break apart in an acidic environment like grape must. Yeast can't tell the difference if the sugars come from the fruit or from refined cane or beet sugar. The molecules are the same. The only difference may be how quickly the sucrose inverts to the individual sugars.

By natural sugars, I meant the sugars found in grape juice as opposed to a five pound bag of sugar purchased at a grocery store.
Sounds like there is little difference then between the sugar in grape juice and the sugar that comes out of a bag with regards to yeast.
Thanks for your response.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back