Stupid Careless Mistake! :-(

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackpage

Reaction score
So I sweetened and bottled my most recent batch of strawberries Friday night and as I sat down a few minutes ago (Sunday evening) to update my batch notes I realized that I had not stabilized the batch. I know I need to act quickly but I'm not sure if it is better to pour it all back into a carboy and stabilize it there or could I stabilize it in their current bottles?

So I sweetened and bottled my most recent batch of strawberries Friday night and as I sat down a few minutes ago (Sunday evening) to update my batch notes I realized that I had not stabilized the batch. I know I need to act quickly but I'm not sure if it is better to pour it all back into a carboy and stabilize it there or could I stabilize it in their current bottles?

If I was in your shoes I would pop those bottles open and get it back in the carboy to stabilize! Wish you luck and don't panic when things like this happen or more mistakes will happen. from my experiences at least!

KA_ BOOM is in your future..

Ok how can you bottle so fast. When did you start it?

DETAILS....

if you don't get them open soon Tom is right that is what going to happen yes put it back into the primary bucket and stablize it then put it in the secondary for a few days before you rebottle it

I started the batch in June, fermented in a primary for a week and then transferred to a carboy. I racked it twice and then when I went to rack it again I saw it was clear so I bottled it.

I find when I make strawberry it is 6 monthe before I bottle.
Whats the recipe? please post
Maybe you may try adding a f-pac..

3 1/2 quarts of water
2.5 lbs of sugar
4 lbs of strawberries (I used 10 lbs of fresh)
1 tsp acid blend
1/8 tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 Campden tablet
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 packet of Montrachet yeast

Tom I could use any and all guides you have for strawberry wine. This is my 3rd of 4 batches (4th is still settling) and I'm just not getting something right. The first 2 batches I only used 4 lbs each and then you guys guided me to use an fpak for those batches. The fpak made those better but still not what I would like. For this batch I used the extra in the beginning and hoped I would not need an fpak. I think it is alright and will probably not add an fpak but I will for the 4th batch.

3 1/2 quarts of water
2.5 lbs of sugar
4 lbs of strawberries (I used 10 lbs of fresh)
1 tsp acid blend
1/8 tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 Campden tablet
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 packet of Montrachet yeast

Tom I could use any and all guides you have for strawberry wine. This is my 3rd of 4 batches (4th is still settling) and I'm just not getting something right. The first 2 batches I only used 4 lbs each and then you guys guided me to use an fpak for those batches. The fpak made those better but still not what I would like. For this batch I used the extra in the beginning and hoped I would not need an fpak. I think it is alright and will probably not add an fpak but I will for the 4th batch.

Ok now did you use 10 or 4#'s? 4 lbs of strawberries (I used 10 lbs of fresh)

Do you have a hydrometer?
Strawberry has mostly water so. I would use 6-8#'s per gallon AND a f-pac & backsweetening.

I used 10 #'s for that batch and didn't use an fpak. I was hoping it would turn out better on its own. It's ALRIGHT but I had kinda decided that fpaks are required for strawberry batches.

I do have a hydrometer. I usually make sure that the abv is about 11-12% ish.

Latest posts

Back