Stuck MLF?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yakhunter

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am making a super tuscan with Sangiovese, Cab, and Merlot. We crushed and pressed each separately and are planning on doing a "tasting party" to determine our blend . I have 6 gal of each and aa a 5 gal carboy full of "blend" that was just what was left over from each. DOn't know the proportions.

Anyway, the cab and Merlot finished MLF in short order, but the blend and the sangiovese are taking forever. Weirder still is that the slowest of the bunch is the blend. Seems like that should not be slower than any of it's parts, but, you know, wine....

Here is my chroma from the last two. Blend on the left, Sangio in the middle (the cab is a different one not in the blend). I have NOT added Kmeta to any of them since I thought I may have to blend them to get the MLF going. The Blend and Sangio have been in my office upstairs for about a month where it is usually above 70F.

Would you consider Sangiovese done?
For the Blend, and maybe the Sangiovese,

Should I:
1. reinoculate?
2. add Optimalo?
3. Both.
4 Just blend and hope it kicks back in when the MLB from the other wines mixes in.
5. Oak them and hope the MLB in my barrel starts it going?

Thanks in advance

IMG_4948.jpg

I can't find the strain of MLB in my notes, but I think it was VP. Can't be sure. I DO know that it was the freeze dried stuff that is expensive, not the liquid stuff that I have heard bad things about.

pH was 3.42/Brix: 28 for the Sangiovese. i don't think I got one for the blend as we were just going to use it for topping off, but the other 2 contributors were 3.39/27.5 (merlot) and 3.84/25 (cab).

I can't find the strain of MLB in my notes, but I think it was VP. Can't be sure. I DO know that it was the freeze dried stuff that is expensive, not the liquid stuff that I have heard bad things about.

pH was 3.42/Brix: 28 for the Sangiovese. i don't think I got one for the blend as we were just going to use it for topping off, but the other 2 contributors were 3.39/27.5 (merlot) and 3.84/25 (cab).

Sounds like VP41, $33 or so, treats 60 gallons I think. Pretty high Brix numbers on the Sang. and merlot. High alcohol content can be a problem, but your pH's all are in the good range. I've reinnoculated 4 batches recently, will do a chromo in a month or so and see what's going on. My last chromos looked similar to yours, progress, but not done.

I'd let it go longer, but keep it under tight air lock. you might try to keep it closer to 65. It will go slowly, but be safer.

Latest posts

Back