Stuck fermentation ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TENNISTOWINE

Reaction score
I made a 6 gallon batch of red wine. I wanted to make a second batch using the same grapes. I added 3 tsp yeast energizer and sugar water to bring the sg to 1.09. I thought (because in the past the must started fermenting from the yeast still left) I might not have to add yeast. But about 4 days later it was doing nothing (the sg was still 1.09) so I added a packet of Pastuer Red yeast. Nothing has happened and now it has been about a week later. What should I do to get it started fermenting? It is in my kitchen and the temperature is about 68 degrees. Thanks.

Water that is added should equal the amount of wine removed, second the water should have at least 7 grams /liter of tartaric acid added. I would hazard a guess that the environment for the yeast is not acidic enough.

Thanks for the reply. I have reused the grapes in the past to make 3 batches from the same grapes without any problems (usually I do not have to add any yeast. What can I add to make it more acidic so it starts fermenting?

Latest posts

Back