Strawberry Wild Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cohenhouse77

Patience Apprentice
Reaction score
I started my batch of strawberry on Saturday. I chopped up several flats of very ripe strawberries in a straining bag and basically pureed them with a knife and potato masher. I added a little bit of tannin, pectic enzyme, and 1/4 teaspoon of Meta bi sulfate. I added water up to 5 gallons but have not added sugar or nutrients. I was planning on adding the sugar this evening and bringing it up to the full 6 gallons and pitching yeast tomorrow morning. I woke up this morning and I have bubbles. Should I be overly concerned? Should I just add my sugar up to my specific gravity this evening and fill to the 6 gallons and let her rip? Or, should I do everything I can to add a yeast that will overpower the wild ones? Anyone have any experience with this?

If it was me, I would get my s.g. where I want it, top it off where I want it and spread a pkg. of yeast on top. Wither the wild one or the tame one ought to ferment it out for you. Arne.

I doubt you have started fermentation if you added 1/4 teaspoon of Meta bi sulfate. What was your starting gravity? That would be a very quick start for Natural Yeast. Why not go with the wild yeast anyway? GO Natural, add yeast Nutrients go to dry. If not add your sugar and pitch your yeast.

Oh, it is fermenting and going like crazy when I just came home. Can I add nutrient this late if I am going to go with wild yeast? I am scared of adding the sugar. i am going to have a volcano!

What is you S.G? What did it start at? I would go ahead and add sugar and Nutrients. The trick to Wild, Ambient, Feral, Natural whatever name you want to call...is monitoring. Make sure your S.G. does not get stuck. This is why I would add nutrients, start out with a third.

Unfortunately, as I was not officially ready for fermentation, I am not sure what my starting SG was, but as of an hour ago, it had fermented down to 1.0. I guess I saw what could have been foam yesterday, but I dismissed it because I hadn't pitched yeast yet. I thought it was a byproduct of the pectic enzyme. I do not know the starting SG, but it couldn't have been much. Two and a half flats of strawberries and a gallon of water. I'm sure there is an Apple app somewhere for that one. This is my first true strawberry by itself so this is exciting, no matter what the outcome. I have heard of people starting their muscadine wine with wild yeast, and also apple with yeast on the apple skins, but never thought of strawberry.

The verdict: I have added two teaspoons of nutrient (1/3 of rate to 6 gallons), a bit of acid blend, water to 6 gallons, and sugar to bring to 1.075. I am just hoping that the fermented sugars in the strawberry didn't start out higher then 1.01 - 1.02. I am still considering pitching Cotes Des Blanc this evening and let them and the wild yeasties battle it out, but will wait to see what this has done over the next several hours.

It is fermenting as strong as I have ever seen any other yeast go. Up side: I save a dollar on yeast. I get to say I have used a natural yeast. Down side: I do not know what characteristics come with this wild yeast. I was going to use Cotes Des Blanc for it's noted high aroma characteristics. I can only hope that Plant City berries come with a yeast on their berries that are going to prove to compliment the strawberry. I do have a packet of champagne yeast on standby.....

Chris, funny as I did not start mine like I said. After spending three hours cleaning, slicing and bagging my three flats, I decided to freeze mine and start on Saturday. Keep us updated. You could attempt to stop the wild fermentation and start fresh with new yeast. I have a feeling that your fermentation might stick anyway.

Chris.....if your fermentation is up and running as you describe sounds like the feral yeast is well in control. I doubt the commercial yeast would make a difference at this point. Some of the greatest wines in the world are made using feral yeast. You get multiple strains versus just one. I call that upside! I say keep monitoring your S.G. and adding nutrients as you go. I think you are going to be very happy! What is your PH and what is your TA?

Chris this is true wine making! Continue the play by Play! I hope you are keeping records, notice the colour, aroma, etc from day to day. cheers

Shawn, I really appreciate the encouragement. It is a scary thing to decide to do without shoulders to lean on. You have helped me sleep tonight for sure.

James, I will keep you posted. You have berries from the same source and the yeast blew right through my k-meta treatment. You could potentially start the same way I imagine.

One thing is for sure. I am using the slurry to start a strawberry skeeter pee.

ForumRunner_20130401_205331.jpg

I added sugar last night to 1.075. Tonight it is bubbling and at 1.06. I am nervous though most likely without real cause. I am spoiled by the fermentation of Dragons Blood and Muscadine. This really bubbles when stirred though and is not showing signs of ceasing. I have just seen them much more boisterous.

Shawn - Per your recommendation, I am adding the nutrient in phases. I added 1/3 last night. When do you recommend adding the next third?

When the s.g. gets to 1.02 add to finish it up, give it a good stir when you do. How is it smelling? What aroma's are you getting, does the must smell acidic, fruity, fresh, etc? I am telling you chris this will be one of the best wine making lesson you will receive and you did not even have to pay for it.

You have some strong yeast in there, should make the skeeter pee sing! Keep good notes and logs.

Dude, you next post is going to be why does this smell funny:):)Pure strawberry juice would be around 1.04 or so, you are going to need to add some sugar if you are going to get this up to a point where it will keep. WVMJ

Jack, he added sugar to get S.G. to 1.075, if he goes to dry that would be about 10.5%, which is really good for a fruit wine. If you are referring to keeping that really depends on the P.H. and TA. Chris .......have you taken a Ph and TA reading yet? If it is indeed acidic he can simply balance it with sugar. cheers!

Pure juice 1.04, cut with water 50% would then be 1.02, fermented to 1.005 and then sugar to 1.075 would leave me at slightly above 11%. I'm happy with this.

I have not taken a pH reading. I had some pH strips and I cannot find them and have not yet invested in a pH meter. Shame on me. Right now it smells very fruity and almost sweet smelling and definitely strawberry. I can smell the fermentation but it's not an overly yeast like fermentation.

Indeed it would be! Keep me posted? You will need to let it age awhile with alcohol in that range with a fruit wine but I think you will be happy.

Latest posts

Back