Store bought apple juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes it will.

BTW, I could not tell the difference between apple juice in the bottles and the frozen cans....cans were cheaper.

thank you for both , will work,, an cheaper,,,
thank you very must Mismost..
any info on how not to aquire tons of new friends when word gets out you (by you I mean me) try making a little wine now an then...lol:HB
richard::

yes it will.

BTW, I could not tell the difference between apple juice in the bottles and the frozen cans....cans were cheaper.

thank you for both , will work,, an cheaper,,,
thank you very must Mismost..
any info on how not to aquire tons of new friends when word gets out you (by you I mean me) try making a little wine now an then...lol:HB

Sure, tell em you are a cheap sob, won't give em nuthin, but come on over and you will have to be careful not to talk to the State patrol when driving home. Ain't my fault, nohow, noway. LOL, Arne.

I should of put this in context , I'm a way out in the country type happy hillbilly messing around in the woods, takeing the neighbors any extra eggs, my younger brother is the in town, messing with the quorum court , school boards local politicians type person, I keep my mouth shut on what I hear, he loves to be in the middle or the areas going owns, my buddies all ready grew up with me knowing I mind my own business , hate lazy people an mooches AND I AM A CHEEP SKATE,, LOL ,,, so none of them come by with out a air tight excuse,, in the last 3 weeks i.ve had some of the top politicians in the county, and their circle of friends which live in multi million dollar homes, pulling into my gravel drive way, asking to donate money for the needy and if by accident end up with a few bottles of meads made with farm fresh fruit an sugar maxed out to around 18% ABV then back sweetened with pure raw local honey, just a stupid ideal I thought I'd try a few carboys using different fruits and berries in each carboy, since my brother was in the first wave into Baghdad and some of his brothers in arms and some of the area upper crust had a get together for them for their military service.. so I sent 4 cases of a few bottles from each flavor. hehe so if I was to mention talking to a state rod, I would need to be living in hiding in your dog house for my safety, so since your one of the people I read your posts and your advice to others and I, myself an me believe you are a complete world of knowledge, an I bet on more them just wine, Arne, but as bad as I feel I think you just gave me bum advice on that one question,, lol ,, but I must admit I didn't give you all the facts not to mention after their get together I ended up with a new gravel drive that not only went up to my house but runs all the way back and across my acre an one half yard to the door to both my chicken pens and rabbit pens so a old cripple with one leg below the knee removed and 1/2 of my foot on the other leg would no longer half to wade through mud to fetch eggs any more, I'm not use to attention, when I can help someone I always do it in a way they don't know it was me that helped them out, cause I believe as hard as I've had it I know there's way more people that are much more worse off then me, so I do all I can for those in need even if I can only help a little most times, so it embarrasses me to see a multi millionaire in my drive way with hat in hand wanting to know what it takes to get into my inner circle for the wine, heck my circle is my brothers a couple nephews whom help me mend fence and so on,,, I'll help anyone, but I melt into the ground in crowds or if I get lots of attention, I aint bitching about them getting I aint sure what you'd call it I call it wine mead because I make wine but back sweeten with pure raw honey to around 1020 SG. I know that sounds high but you age the dry wine a couple years then back sweeten with honey , bottle and thanks to JohnT for telling me about bottle shock I wait a month to even open a bottle to test, to a normal human this problem, would be a god sent problem,, lol ,, but I was a commercial retail construction superintendent for years going from big city to big city, and dreaming of when I finally went home for good. the very first thing I did was throw away my watch, if the computer did not show the date I would not even know the date anymore, I just want peace an quite , taking care of my animals and gardening, shoot I even talk to my animals, but no I've not drank enough for any of my animals to answer me yet,, lol ,,:: although the other night I'm pretty sure one of my Dexter cows wink at me,,, lol ,,,:h
DAWG
richard::::

I sure hope ya'll don't get tired of this poor dumb hillbilly.
MAY GOD BLESS AMERICA AND THE ENTIRE WORLD:h

Sure, tell em you are a cheap sob, won't give em nuthin, but come on over and you will have to be careful not to talk to the State patrol when driving home. Ain't my fault, nohow, noway. LOL, Arne.

will the frozen stuff clear as quick as the bottled juice,
I've ran through most all my 2 year bulk aged wines an meads, way to many new and helpful friends, so to be stingy with my aged stuff I got left,,, I'm needing some quick stuff to cover my younger brothers big mouth, but I love him with all my heart, so I can keep his circle happy with young but drinkable an I can keep my aged stuff for just little ole me to sip very slowly..... :h

yes it will.

I don't know about the frozen concentrate, but I started a batch from cheap store bought juice on Jan. 9. It is perfectly clear at this time and has been for over a month. Tastes pretty good too. Try a skeeter pee or dragons blood. Both are fast and don't taste too bad. Arne.

Doesn't matter if it is frozen concentrate or diluted juice in a bottle, it will all clear the same. I have used both many times.

I tried the peach mango, and it did taste as good as real fruit peach I made. One thing I'm learning is that fast wine is probably not the best. I have done a couple real fruit and kits and they worked out well, and will be better as time goes on.... And three gallon batches of modified mead in right now.. I am getting antsy to get after a bottle of my first batch, pinched in mid Feb.. Is it September yet..

hey Arne seems to me but I aint sure but if using vaccumpumpmans allinonevaccumpump.com with a spun polypropylene 1 micron filter and of course the degassing effect when using Steve's pump, that would polish and degas much quicker yes?.. I'm needing some quick drinking wine, I got 10 gallon cherry, 13 an 1/2 gallon apple/pear blend and 10 gallon straight apple (cheap juice) for quick drink, thanks to my brother I got new people wanting wine they have supplied me with 4 new Italian 6 an 1/2 carboys and extra money for sugar, honey and wine concentrate. so I cant argue with that,,,
i'll be sending off to home winery for some peach, plum an blackberry, plus I got around 40 lb pears/apples in the freezer. plus you must remember since i'm crippled up some it will give me stuff to do inside, I was raised a carpenter, then I become a master trim carpenter and a master laminate man, I can plumb, I can run electric. I can do HVAC except for low voltage wiring but even that I could figure out, being raised the way I was,,, I need to stay busy. done cleared 1/2 mile of fence and started repairing where trees fell on it..
I can say since finding this site and all of yall I once again feel I have purpose yet again. I can not thank yall enough, I know several of yall said I do not need to thank yall. but yall are wrong, I was raised a southern deep woods country boy, so yes to stay straight to my raising then yes for my own peace of mind I do need to thank all of yall. :db so very much...
DAWG::
Richard::::

I don't know about the frozen concentrate, but I started a batch from cheap store bought juice on Jan. 9. It is perfectly clear at this time and has been for over a month. Tastes pretty good too. Try a skeeter pee or dragons blood. Both are fast and don't taste too bad. Arne.

Last edited:
@hounddawg most of my wines ive been making for many years, now, the base has come from paper cartons, Im in the uk, but, ive yet to find any juice of any type from a super market, paper carton which cant be fermented, typical contents are water, juice flavouring (sometimes from concentrate, sometimes not) and citric acid, I tend to use 2 or 3 litres per uk gallon (which is 4.5 litres) plus, one kg of sugar per gallon, I tend to make smallish batches and sometimes add some real fruit, or, a different fruit juice flavour as well, if I have some available, particularly if im making a red, there aren't any home brew shops around where I live, so, I tend to get a decent supply of yeast online, then, go with the flow and find things locally to ferment, but that's basically what works for me.

They tend to make a decent fast wine, but, obviously improve with aging, I have some oak barrels which I use to oak it and it makes an ok drink for every day drinking, with the bonus that you can make your own mix and match flavours, ive not had any adverse issues using them, over several years now and that's how most of my wines have been made.

Last edited:
hey Arne seems to me but I aint sure but if using vaccumpumpmans allinonevaccumpump.com with a spun polypropylene 1 micron filter and of course the degassing effect when using Steve's pump, that would polish and degas much quicker yes?.. I'm needing some quick drinking wine, I got 10 gallon cherry, 13 an 1/2 gallon apple/pear blend and 10 gallon straight apple (cheap juice) for quick drink, thanks to my brother I got new people wanting wine they have supplied me with 4 new Italian 6 an 1/2 carboys and extra money for sugar, honey and wine concentrate. so I cant argue with that,,,

Richard, transfer with the vac. pump a time or two. That will help get the gas out. When the gas is gone if it sits for a few days, it will clear. After it has pretty well cleared, then is the time to filter it if you like. If you try and filter it before it is pretty well cleared, your filter will probably clog fairly fast. Arne.

hehe, oh you got the wrong ideal,
fast wine is not for me, but for others LOL
I drink my 2 year old stuff, hehe,
maybe after my wine stores build up then an only then maybe others wont get fast wine,
I hope this does not make me bad, I usually, trade a bottle foe a case or 2 of bottles, nowhere worth what I have AGED WITH LOVE,,,,
therefore fast wine,, yes?::::::::::::::

I tried the peach mango, and it did taste as good as real fruit peach I made. One thing I'm learning is that fast wine is probably not the best. I have done a couple real fruit and kits and they worked out well, and will be better as time goes on.... And three gallon batches of modified mead in right now.. I am getting antsy to get after a bottle of my first batch, pinched in mid Feb.. Is it September yet..

ARNE THE WINE I MAKE FOR ME NEEDS NO DEGASSING I AGE MY WINE WITH LOVE AN TIME,
but I have great trouble getting bottles, but when I offer some wine for cork finish bottles, then magically everybody has bottles, now i'm not about to trade my wine made with love an time, soooo store bought apple juice turned to quick wine to trade with seems fair to me how bout you...???:::?

nn

Richard, transfer with the vac. pump a time or two. That will help get the gas out. When the gas is gone if it sits for a few days, it will clear. After it has pretty well cleared, then is the time to filter it if you like. If you try and filter it before it is pretty well cleared, your filter will probably clog fairly fast. Arne.

but I have great trouble getting bottles, but when I offer some wine for cork finish bottles, then magically everybody has bottles, now i'm not about to trade my wine made with love an time, soooo store bought apple juice turned to quick wine to trade with seems fair to me how bout you...???:::?

nnThat works for me. My wines usually sit in the carboy for a year or more before I think about bottling them. I have lots of bottles, my only problem is getting up the ambition to clean them. That is one project I seem to put off as long as possible. Arne.

ARNE you must be physic. today was my 3rd day straight cleaning bottles, :ft ,,,, and all labels are not created equal,,, some of the hardest if I knew whom they came from I would kick them in the shin bone,, TWICE,,
I filled a 14 gal barrel with sanitizer and very hot water used a knife to try and remove labels, even used SOS pads to try to remove , liquor thinner, dang, only about a fifth was that bad. tomorrow I then start on the insides of the bottles ,, and this was only 5 an 1/2 cases . had to go to cork finish, I'd bought new 28mm screw tops and not one person returned my bottles, but I can not complain, I am a country hillbilly, so in my neck of the woods we do barter some, this year I got 40 rolls of hay, 2 loads of gravel, another man s bringing over some heavy equipment to move a 48 foot box van so I can move my tools into, as well I got 3# 6 an 1/2 Italian carboys, an 2# 6 gal Italian carboys, and wine base, and come fall tons of fresh fruit. , as I am fixing to cut a breezeway between 2 bedrooms/winery,, lol just to keep up supply for those whom return favors way, way beyond money,, and they have already said something about me needing more care boys and they said they'd have to fix that, but for an x active person that is cut to pieces:h I think I got a new full time project
:h
and I have ya'll to thank...
richard:sm

nn
That works for me. My wines usually sit in the carboy for a year or more before I think about bottling them. I have lots of bottles, my only problem is getting up the ambition to clean them. That is one project I seem to put off as long as possible. Arne.

ok maybe I'm not patience enough any more but been almost 3 weeks after starting apple wine from store bought apple juice,,,,,,,,, is it natural for it to look just like white grapefruit juice, shoot my pear/apple blend from hand picked fruit is clear on the top half, I used yeast an yeast nutrient , sugar, cant remember if I used any pectic enzyme , this was just a quick drinker, all my others which are from hand picked an a couple from homewiney are working right, the store bought apple juice is still fermenting but is the exact color of white grapefruit juice,,, any ideals. or am I just getting in a hurry, and yes this has learnt me to keep records even on a quick drinker, I didn't because so far the stuff I make for me sits in a carboy 2 years, manly due to being hospitalized, but my whites a year an reds 2 year, even when I'm going good, just thought ts should be a lot clearer,,, advice needed
Richard

UNDERSTOOD,,, I was afraid that was my problem ,cant remember if I added
peptic enzyme , should I add some or no? thank you again ARNE
I got a few more with bottles, but before I trade the wine I spent tons of time and love I'll go back to buying new, my nephew brought over some sangria
today, I guess I dune got spoiled, and I sure aint got the time an knowledge ya'll have. but I'm trying. I really need to break my brothers neck for telling the world about me making wine, but I guess I cant complain the guzzlers they have bottles, but I am happy about the men that brought me gravel, carboys, concentrates, hay and so on, them boys drink what I'm drinking,
the area where I live we fry every thing we eat, we'd fry water if we knew how, LOL, but here in the hill's most every body I've ran across drink country wines, shine and sweet wines, I guess we have no pallet, I've noticed most of ya'll that make that fancy wine like your wines dry,
Richard

Quoting Tom from years ago. "Patience, patience, patience." Good things come to him that waits. Arne.

Latest posts

Back