Storage Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
Started to really think about storage of the wine I have underway and will eventually make. (Nothing like putting the cart in front of the horse huh?) Anyways, I have a question. I know wine should be in a dark room, but thats going to be tough. If all wine is in green bottles is it still bad to have it around light? I have read that alot of people keep their wine around 68*, and thats no problem, my house is 68* on the avg. I also have a real nice wall shelf unit already built into the dining room that would work well, and could eventually hold a few hundred bottles if it had to.

I do have a crawlspace, but I have checked the temp these last few cold weeks and it has gone as low as 38* down there. Im thinking I might be able to bulk age down there with the use of blankets around carboys, but to store the wine once bottles down there, I dont think it would work year round. In the summer, I am an AC freak, and the house never goes above 70* for any period of time if at all.

Seems to me that the temp in your house is pretty stable. Light all day could be a problem but then I think of liquor stores and really wonder Most have sunlight and artificial light on bottles every day. I know these bottles dont stay on their shelves for 5 years but lets face it, who of us really has a batch that hangs around for 5 years either. Vibration is also a factor to think about to!

Wade, the liquor store thought arose to me also, but like you said, neither they nor I will have a bottle sitting around 5 years. Unless I get the 30 bottle cooler I am thinking about to try and perhaps long store a few bottles of the stuff I really like. There is not much vibration in the didning room, and to be honest there isnt non stop light in there either. I figure 6 months to a year in the bulked in the crawl and then stored in house and I should be ok....I hope...
smiley36.gif
Edited by: JohnnyK68

I think youll be fine, oh and your wine!
smiley36.gif
I bet a lot of people do this without any problems.

We have some friends who use dressers, chests and closets for storing their wines. Then there are always plastic tubs on the floor of the closet. If you're not going to be holding onto the wines a long time...

Latest posts

Back