Stirring after racking at 40 day on the 5-20-40-90 schedule?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalofrenchy

Reaction score
Lately I have been doing the 5-20-40-90 Tim Vandergrift schedule on two WE reserve kits. At the 40 day mark when I rack for the second time into a clean carboy I notice some air bubbles getting trapped in the carboy as I fill it up. When I was done I used the drill attachment for a couple minutes to get this trapped gas out of the carboy. I also thought it was not a bad idea to get it mixed a little since I topped up with some wine. I was wondering if that's okay to stir it at that time or is there risk of oxidation or other negative consequences and therefore should leave it alone next time?
Thanks.

If your wine s chemically balanced, you should be ok.

Did the wine taste bubbly (carbonated)? if so, stirring (or degassing) is a good idea.

If your wine tasted still (not carbonated) then it would probably be best to leave it alone.

Well balanced wine is very hardy. It will hold up to a limited amount of O2. I would, though, suggest that you dose with k-meta after stirring just to be safe.

I don't think it will hurt. Days after bottling my very first batch of wine (RJS Pinot Noir Feb of 2013) I had to pour every single bottle back into a carboy so that more sediment could fall out before re bottling. I seem to remember RJS CS telling me to add some k-meta.

Latest posts

Back