Starting peach wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karrlot

Reaction score
I am going to make some peach wine. I am worried about the peaches browning.

When I am cutting up and destoning peaches to can them or make jelly, I always cut them and toss them into a bowl of lemon juice to stop them from browning.

Do I need to do this when I'm making wine?

I put mine into 1 gallon bags to freeze when I did mine. When I had a full bag, I sealed it and put it in the freezer. Unless its going to take you several hours to process your peaches, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I've got whole peaches in the freezer now. When I take them out, I'll defrost them, cut them up, destone them, then put in the primary and pour boiling water over them. I don't need to worry about them turning brown?

I put mine into 1 gallon bags to freeze when I did mine. When I had a full bag, I sealed it and put it in the freezer. Unless its going to take you several hours to process your peaches, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

This is what i did, but i squirted lemon juice in the bags... They were actually starting to brown on me, while i was trying to destone them & fill the bag

I dont know about the "boiling water over peaches"... Just need room temp water.. When you do sugar additions, you want to let that sugary juice/water cool down a little bit with peach & stir well while adding to spread out the heat into the whole batch so it cools quicker

A dose of k-meta - 1/4 tsp per 5-6 gallons - will keep them from turning brown once you're actually in the process of making wine

Pectic enzyme will do a better job than boiling water, at pulling out color & flavor from the peaches.. The boiling water also might result in a haze that is a bit of a pain to get to go away

We recently made a couple large batches of peach wine. We froze them and as they thawed, some of them browned even tho we had meta in the vat. The peach wine has been over in the carboys for a couple weeks, and the wine is not affected by the brown fruit. The color is very nice, so I don't think you need to worry about the brown fruit.

I would also suggest you bentonite the primary. Our wine is already quite clear. Peach can be really difficult to clear without it. Be sure to use a good dose of pectic enzyme too, and you can toss that into the vat as the fruit is thawing to break it down. You can layer the meta and pectic on the fruit as you are tossing the frozen fruit in the vat---this seems to work better than just putting it on top of ALL the frozen fruit. Don't use water----water will kill a good peach. The freezing process makes so much juice that you need not use water.

Turock

Thanks for your help! How many pounds of fruit did you use per gallon?

Could you offer your recipe or procedure?

Do I just throw the fruit in the primary and mash it up with no water? Then add pectic, Meta, wait a day and pitch yeast? Did you add sugar?

We don't use recipes, as such. We estimate how much wine a certain volume of fruit will give us, because we use no water to bring the volume up to a certain amount of wine. One of our peach batches was 98# of peaches and it made 10 gallons. So from that result, you could consider 10 pounds of peaches per gallon.

Here's how we do it: Empty the frozen bags of fruit into a vat,layering in pectic enzyme and meta. Don't be afraid to use a double dose of pectic enzyme. Cover with a lid and allow to completely thaw. Our 98# took 3 days to thaw. We bag our fruit,but you don't have to if you don't mind working with a cap. Take Ph readings and adjust. We found that the flavor popped out at a PH of 3.35 Use acid blend to get the PH down. I think our PH started at 4.0 Add sugar to set brix and pitch the culture when the must is around room temp.

You will find you need no mashing if you can freeze them first. Freezing really turns them to mush. If you can't freeze them, then light mashing might help. Altho, cutting them in smaller pieces may be enough. Any technique that pleases you is fine. Double dose of pectic enzyme mixed into the fruit will do a good job of breaking down the fruit since they are soft to start with.

Don't forget the bentonite----you'll be so pleased that you don't have to fool around with it in a year to get it to clear so you can bottle. The more we use bentonite, the more we like it.

When I cut and destone my peaches I toss some absorbic acid in the bags - this will aid in the prevention of browning..

Is that before you freeze them? My peaches are already frozen whole. I am not planning on putting them into a bag again.

Is that before you freeze them? My peaches are already frozen whole. I am not planning on putting them into a bag again.

Yes before i freeze them.

When you bring them out to thaw - sprinkle some absorbic acid over them - you will be fine..

Latest posts

Back