WineXpert Started my first kit today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smurf:

I'm not too cautious with my first rack and SPG. I just get it somewhere below 1.01 and go. It usually is about 6 days for my set up.

Winesnob - I usually follow the directions too - except I give it a little extra time in each step after the primary and then bulk age with some oak. But Masta got this directly from Tim - you might want to go slightly on the early side here. Also, make sure you have everything santized - including extra containers, extra strainers, your hands, etc. The first rack can take quiet a while - usually the first 4 gallons go about normal, but the last two can be a bear. I will say, it has been a slightly different challenge on each of the 3 crushendos I have made. With patience, you can get a nearly full carboy without too much sediment. You rack these before stabilizing anyway, so they expect more sediment in the secondary.

Good luck!

And now we have our very own Leaky Spigot! Some days it's like a story book land around here. We have a Stinkie, a Wine Snob, a MedPretzel, Old Wino, a Funky Fish, a Where's Waldo, an Angell, a Princess, and so many other characters!

*Yes, I'm way off topic, but it's so fitting here!*

Leaky Spigot said:
Yes ! what's a Bucket without a leaky spigot anyways?

As a Matter of Fact what's a Wine Forum without a Leaky Spigot!!!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: PolishWineP

Aww Thank you Wine Room!! This is the Best Wine Web SIte around!!! Everyone is Always SO!!Happy!!~~snicker!!

What's a forum without a Lil HUMOUR!(canadian spelling)!! HUMOR (yankee spelling)!!!! RoFl
smiley36.gif

AND THAT ""STINKIE" just bewilders me!! with His Energy!! I get Tired just reading and LQQKIN at all the stuff he does!!

Thanks again fer the W/W~! (warm welcome)

maize said:
Smurf:

I'm not too cautious with my first rack and SPG. I just get it somewhere below 1.01 and go. It usually is about 6 days for my set up.

Winesnob - I usually follow the directions too - except I give it a little extra time in each step after the primary and then bulk age with some oak. But Masta got this directly from Tim - you might want to go slightly on the early side here. Also, make sure you have everything santized - including extra containers, extra strainers, your hands, etc. The first rack can take quiet a while - usually the first 4 gallons go about normal, but the last two can be a bear. I will say, it has been a slightly different challenge on each of the 3 crushendos I have made. With patience, you can get a nearly full carboy without too much sediment. You rack these before stabilizing anyway, so they expect more sediment in the secondary.

Good luck!

I used to not be as cautious as well but after hearing the same info from Tim that Masta referred to, I watch it closer now. He really stressed that the first racking was the most important step (besides sanitation)in the kit making and really stressed the importance of keeping an eye on the SG and racking at the proper time to glass.

Smurfe

maize,
do you purchase oak separately for the bulk aging or do you only use 1 package (if two came in your kit) for the primary and the other package for the bulk aging?

Today is day 5 and I'll check the SG to see what it's at. I'll post pictures of the secondary when I'm done. I'll put them in the photo forum section. I should also be getting my two 6 gallon carboys in (Thanks George).

I've done it both ways and prefer to add all the packages that came with the kit during the primary fermation, then if it's not oaky enough, add chips or cubes during bulk aging. If you add, taste it about once a week. Once the oak flavor is in, you can't get out. Edited by: Angell Wine

Winesnob:

When I talk about bulk aging with oak - it is always IN ADDITION to the oak that comes with the kit. Most kits just come with oak that is added to the primary. I buy oak cubes from George separately. I use mostly House French and Medium American oaks

Smurf:

Yes, I really only monitor SG closely until it gets into glass. I want to have it below 1.01 and still putting off plenty of CO2 at the first transfer. The next crushendo I try, I will want to try making the transfer earlier at a little higher SG.

Ok, I racked into the secondary. It's getting warm in the house and I want to place the wine (in secondary) in a cooler place. Is it OK to put the secondary in my wine cellar which is around 55 degrees F. for the rest of the process?

thanks,
winesnob.

winesnob said:
Ok, I racked into the secondary. It's getting warm in the house and I want to place the wine (in secondary) in a cooler place. Is it OK to put the secondary in my wine cellar which is around 55 degrees F. for the rest of the process?

thanks,
winesnob.

You could but it will take quite an extended period to ferment and to de-gas. How warm is it getting in the house?

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe, it's getting between 75-80. We put the AC on yesterday to bring it back to 75. The finished part of the basement is between 60-65 or is that still too cool?

winesnob said:

thanks,
winesnob.

NO! The fermentation will slow to a crawl and possibly stop prematurely. You need to maintain the 65-75 degree temps until fermentation is complete and you have degassed and stabilized. Then it would ok to put it in the cellar for clearing.

Winesnob,

After putting my wine into secondary, I also place it in the finished part of the basement at about 60-65. It seems to be about the right temp for most secondary ferments. The 50-55 degree temp is most likely too low for most kits and types of yeast. Keep it at the higher temp area(65 is good)Edited by: appleman

Since this is a Crushendo and it is day 9 the fermentation is most likely 98-99% complete. So I would agree the 65 degree temp would be better than letting it get too warm say >80 degrees and as Tim says "I would prefer 75 degrees from start to finish".

What was your SG when you racked to secondary?

Sorry, I've been away golfing for a few days and I got a nice golfer's tan to prove it.

Thanks for your input. I put the secondary in the basement in the utility room. That room stay between 65 and 70. Today is another day which will be in the 80's.

-winesnob

Here's a picture of my Santa Ynez Syrah. It's halfway through the
clarifying/clearing stage. You can tell because it's a pretty
dark color.

2006-06-21_175602_Wine_001.jpg

Latest posts

Back