Started a Muscadine today, have questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coyote Creek

Junior
Reaction score
Well I started a new muscadine today since the past 2 haven't turned out very well and now I have read alot on this site and bought some new books from the brew store and read them. So, I have now started a new batch, a small one to see if all these new steps that I have done will pay off. As I stated in my into, the only wine I have ever seen made was from a one individual that doesn't do any of this. Here are my steps and I have one question I wanted to ask, as I have never seen this happen before.

1. Took 6.5 lbs of muscadines and crushed them with potatoe masher.
2. added this to a sanitized paint strainer bag (after soaked in B-bright overnight). I did rense the bag with hot water after coming out of B-bright.
3. added this to 1 gallon of spring water (store bought), my home water taste like it has alot of chlorine in it.
4. took a cup of the water and added 2.5 cups of sugar, heated to make a syrup. Let it cool a bitand added it to the must.
5. I then added a campden tablet crushed to a small amount of water and stirred until disolved. I added a teaspoon of Yeast Nutrient to another small batch of water and swirled until disolved. I then added these to the must stirred and let set for 24 hours.
6. I then added my Pectic Enzyme. Let it set for 24 hours.
7. Just before adding the yeast, I checked the Tartaric Acid, it was at like .43-.45%. So I added 1 teaspoon of acid blend as instructed on kit to bring it up .15%. So hopefully it is around .60% now.
8. Pitched the yeast and now crossing my fingers(hahahah)!!!!

At the time the yeast was pitched, the temp of the must was 73.5 degrees, SG was 1.082......

The 2 questions I had are: after I added the yeast nutrient that was disolved in water, almost immediately the must went from a maroon to a light yellow color. In the pictures you can see the differnce, the color came back over night though. Has this ever happend to you and if so, why? The other is this morning before pitching the yeast, the must had a whiteish film on it, it was thin but had a slight crust to it when I put the paddle in to stir.

Thanks for any comments on this process, I am learning so let me know if I can do something better.

Here is the mashed fruit fixing to go into the strainer.
20111025_000938_MW5.jpg

This is what the must looked like after the Yeast Nutrient was added along with the water sugar water.
20111025_001027_MW4.jpg

The next day the color was back to normal but had a film on the must.
20111025_001446_MW2.jpg

Well a day into the fermentation and here she is. Things look to be going good. Gave it a punch and flip of the bag and a good stir.
20111026_013918_zzzz0000.jpg

Here is day 3, still doing good, must temp is 72.6 degrees..

20111027_152402_must1.jpg

Day 4, Must temp is 71.6 degrees.......SG is 1.020

20111027_152515_must2.jpg

Well the wine reached 1.010 today on day 5 and I racked it off the primary into a gallon jug and a wine bottle for topping back up. Here are some pics.

20111029_213258_4.bmp

Here is the wine in the secondary!!!

20111029_220541_101.bmp

Already fizzing a little in the necks.

20111029_220343_100.bmp

Latest posts

Back