WineXpert Stags Leap Ready to Bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is great information. I did step 4 last night (racking and clarification). I added the extra metabisulphite powder as the directions said. I plan on bulk storing it for a couple months or longer after reading this.

A separate question. I tasted it and I noticed the wine had slight sour/tart after-taste. Postings I have read say it could be because of an acid imbalance or possible extra CO2. I used a drill to degas it last week. It has been exactly 1 month since I started it. Is this normal or will bulk storing help with this?

I would not make any tasting judgements on a 1 month old wine. Things will change quite a bit as time progresses. Some will taste fairly lifeless when young. Others will be harsh. The actual acidity will not really change much, but your perception of it will change. Part of the magic of aging wine.

Thanks for the insights. Should I transfer the wine to a different carboy if I age for a few months? It does have sediment at the bottom, but the wine is clear. Not sure if it's harmful to age with that in there. Will it affect the taste?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

In a word, yes. If this is your first kit I would bottle sooner (3 months or less) rather than later so you can start enjoying your efforts sooner. Then start another kit to age longer. Enjoy a little instant gratification. Ageing is fine but so is enjoying your first effort.

Latest posts

Back