stablizer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teaser

Reaction score
Need help, started a mead and a cherry in July/August been really busy and that are both staring to clear bit a cannot for the life of me remember it I used stablizer and Campden tablets. I normally write on the calendar and obviously have either forgot or I have not done it. Do I use stabilizer even though I might have done already or do I leave?

I take it you haven't backsweetened it yet? Or are you using the stabilizer that's also a sweetener? In that case I'd just taste a sample and see if it's sweet. If you don't want a sweet wine, then I wouldn't worry about potassium sorbate at all.

No I have not back sweetend as yet and the stabilizer I have has no sweetner with it you thinks it's best to leave it then?

It's too early to use sorbate on this wine and it's not needed at all if you don't sweeten it.

The rule on sorbate is not to use it until the wine is clear because there are too many yeast cells present for it to work. This type of wine should sit in the carboy and age for a year--rack off and bottle at that point and use sorbate THEN if you are going to sweeten.

The recipe for the mead said ready at xmas but better for leaving it and the cherry not ready while next year thankyou will make a note of this

Back