Squeezing instead of topping?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comeauch

Reaction score
I have two 4L plastic jugs of wine, both wines having a SG slightly under 1.000
Only now did I really begin to think about topping up and somehow, no method really appeals to me right now (I don't really have any smaller container, no argon system, not sure about glass marbles... and I don't really want to add water or wine to them, if possible!)

So... has anyone tried just squeezing the bottle until the wine level reaches near the top, thus getting rid of the head space, and screwing the cap on? I figured since fermentation is pretty much over, there wouldn't much risk of over-inflation... I might add, there's quite a bit of head space right now, ~20-30% maybe.

Yet I'm not totally sure of this, I tried searching the forum, but couldn't find anything on the matter. Probably due to the fact that few people trust plastics lol. (even though PET has a low oxygen permeability... http://www.faybutler.com/pdf_files/HowHoseMaterialsAffectGas3.pdf)

I feel like this is too simple not to be wrong in some way XD Opinions?

Yes, I have done this with various plastic bottles. It works fine for minimizing head space.

Should work, but keep an eye on em. They mite still be fermenting a bit and a nonvented cap mite give you a bit of a suprise. Bet if they are still fermenting you will find your bottles expand as gases are produced. Good luck with it, Arne.

I would not do that unless you have an airlock to allow for escaping gas.
Why not try to use some rope and twist tight until you get the height you want. Place some good knots to hold firm. This way you could still use airlocks.

There should not be a problem if you are only taking up a small volume. If you have to squeeze the bottle so much that you cause a crease in the plastic, you could initiate a weakness that could fracture later.

Thanks everyone! I'll watch them carefully :)
And great idea btom2004, I'll try it out! :D

Latest posts

Back