Spring Wine Plans

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty_Kay

Reaction score
In know it's only January but single digit temps and below zero wind chills here in the north east have me already itching for spring, particularly making some spring time wine!

Has anyone given any thought as to if/what they will be making? Anyone doing any Chilean juice? My plan is to possibly a Chilean Malbec & Cab but I'm sure that will change weekly until I place my order. Maybe even try my hand at adding some grapes as well.

Just curious if anyone else has spring wine making fever and what is on your spring time wine making radar.

Stay warm!

Oh yeah, I've got the fever - made worse by an available carboy in the basement, with at least two (probably 3) batches going to the bottle in the next 30 days.

I ended up caving and bought one of the WE Limited releases that should be here this month (Shiraz-Viognier). I'll be doing something Chilean with grapes. I'm thinking a Carmenere/Cabernet Sauvignon. There will likely be another kit started in the next couple months as well. I need to do another Red Mtn Cab, so that may be the one I do.

I am currently aging a Carmenere from last year, it is coming along quite nicely. I want to try something new this spring so a malbec, cab or maybe a syrah. Have you ever done a cab franc? I thought of possibly a bucket of cab franc for blending.

I have two batches from the fall California harvest to bottle (cab franc and a blend), and then all my carboys will be empty. I bottled the old vine zin and a cider a couple of weeks ago.

That said, I have three kits already waiting at the house, including two 2014 limited editions and a Chardonnay. Also preordered two 2015 limited editions. So I need to get cracking on those to have them in carboys prior to the Chilean harvest in May.

This year I will likely do another zin, not sure what else. Maybe Chardonnay that I can MLF. I would like to try a different bold red, as I did a double batch of cab Sauvignon last year. Any suggestions?

Heather

Heather- I am really liking the Carmenere I did. I will probably bottle it in March. I also did a Barbera last year which is progressing but the Carmenere is better. Was your zin Chilean or from CA? I'm kicking myself for not doing a zin this past fall so that may be on my short list this spring.

Heather- I am really liking the Carmenere I did. I will probably bottle it in March. I also did a Barbera last year which is progressing but the Carmenere is better. Was your zin Chilean or from CA? I'm kicking myself for not doing a zin this past fall so that may be on my short list this spring.

My zin and cab franc were CA. My cab Sauvignon was from Chile. All are good....

Carmenere sounds yummy, thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:
I am looking to do a Malbec and a Carmenere from Chilean juice. I might check out Walkers towards the end of February to see what they still have. I am hoping they still have Traminette.

And I hear ya bout the cold!!!!!!!

I have a pretty ambitious plan. doing two good kits now, will do two 5 gallons from concentrate next month, followed up by a dragon blood (I have made skeeter pee but not db) and a cornucopia peach chardonnay for early drinkers.

All in all, I have scheduled about 75 gallons. I am going to Increase that I think. I have never planned before.

Carmenere has become a household favorite for my wife and I- we have bought a lot of commercially produced Carmenere over the past 9 months. Can't wait until mine is bottled!

Well, whaddaya know? Got my shipping notice today from LabelPeelers that the Shiraz-Viognier is on its way. I also got a notice that a WE LR Super Tuscan was on the way. OOPS! I thought I had left that one in my cart on a separate occasion without checking out. Looks like I may have goofed. Weird thing is, I didn't think the ST was supposed to be released until April. I just started a Winery Series Super Tuscan last month. Looks like I'll have some good comparing to do this time next year. And now my spring has suddenly filled up. :sm

Oh my, I like thinking about spring because I really hate cold and snow! I've got 2013 mulberry, peach, aronia berry, elderberry, and cherry to bottle. 45 gallons worth. I just put 20 gallons of dragon blood into carboys, and I've got another 10 gallons of skeeter pee going in primary. I'm out of empty carboys. I really need to start bottling, so I can get ready for summertime skeeter pee, and dragons blood. I think that I'm getting too old for this much excitement! but I'm loving every minute of it! Dale.

Is there anywhere I can get Chilean juice buckets shipped to me ? I'd love to try a few this spring. I'm in San Antonio texas.

I am not aware of anyone who ships fresh juice in SA. But you could order from George at fine vine wines in Carrollton and pick it up there. Another option is frozen juice or must from M&M or others; they will ship Chilean buckets.

Other Texans will have to chime in.....

Heather

Is there anywhere I can get Chilean juice buckets shipped to me ? I'd love to try a few this spring. I'm in San Antonio texas.

Many wine supply sites will ship juice buckets, but you might want to check the local home-brew stores. Prices may be cheaper and you should save on shipping costs. Those buckets are not light!

I've been thinking about what to do as well, Matt. I to thought about getting a lug or two of grapes for each of the Chilean buckets I do this year. I was considering a Carmenere and a Malbec and possibly a Syrah or Barbera...Going to limit myself to 3 this spring, at least that's what I'm saying now...No chilean whites though.

Not sure what I'll be doing, but are there any plans for everyone going to Luva Bella again?

Not sure what I'll be doing, but are there any plans for everyone going to Luva Bella again?

If there is an interest on wanting to meet up there, we can make plans. I wasn't sure if anyone wanted to thou, Ruth (owner's wife) was not very nice with us the last time we were there.

I'll start a separate thread to see if we have a group who would be interested in going.

Doug- I think I'm gonna try and add grapes to the juice buckets as well. The way the Carmenere is turning out its gonna be tough not to do another batch. Been into malbec lately so those 2 are what I am leaning towards, at least as of this week!

If there is an interest on wanting to meet up there, we can make plans. I wasn't sure if anyone wanted to thou, Ruth (owner's wife) was not very nice with us the last time we were there.

I'll start a separate thread to see if we have a group who would be interested in going.

Had no idea. Any other places?

Doug- I think I'm gonna try and add grapes to the juice buckets as well. The way the Carmenere is turning out its gonna be tough not to do another batch. Been into malbec lately so those 2 are what I am leaning towards, at least as of this week!

I did a Carm and a Malbec in 2013, adding 18lbs of grapes to each. I think it is totally worth doing.

Latest posts

Back