SP with raspberries?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandpasFootsteps

Hillbilly-In-Training
Reaction score
I want to make my 2nd SP with raspberries. I need help with the recipe. Should I ferment with the raspberries? Should I press the juice out of them and then add it at the end? I'm making 5 gallons and I have 15 pounds of frozen costco organic raspberries. I've used these to infuse vodka and the have a ton of delicious juice.

I made a gal. of Raspberry wine [wallmart frozen berries] & used the slurry to make the SP. It is my best out of 5-5gal. flavored SP batches. planned on a F-Pac but didn't need it. Need to do another Raspberry batch soon. Thanks Lon! Your letting my Reds age. Roy Fightingtown Creek Wines

I'm going to use the slurry from my 3 gallons of raspberry wine. It is still in the primary just a couple of days old. I'm not sure if the slurry there is sufficient for a good raspberry flavoring, thus the reason I bought the raspberries.

You could put some pectic and sugar in it... let it juice up and then let it drip from a bag without too much squeezing. I do that with my strawberry and add it along with extra sugar at the end.

Debbie

You could put some pectic and sugar in it... let it juice up and then let it drip from a bag without too much squeezing. I do that with my strawberry and add it along with extra sugar at the end.

Debbie

When in the process would I do this?

You would add that after you stabilize with as much sugar as you want.

Debbie

I made a gal. of Raspberry wine [wallmart frozen berries] & used the slurry to make the SP. It is my best out of 5-5gal. flavored SP batches. planned on a F-Pac but didn't need it. Need to do another Raspberry batch soon. Thanks Lon! Your letting my Reds age. Roy Fightingtown Creek Wines

Roy- did you use the whole gallon batch of raspberry to make the SP, or just the gross lees? Could you post the recipe so I could try what you did?

Mike, I used only the gross lees from a 4L batch, racked at 1.035 to a 3L secondary & used the rest for the SP. Used the following recipe:
3-12oz. bags froz. raspberries
1-12oz. froz. red grape juice
4-qts. water
2.25 lbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. acid blend
1/2 tsp.petic enz
1 tsp. nutrient
1/8 tsp. grape tannin
EC1118 yeast
Started with a S.G. of 1.090
Was planning to use the wine to F-Pac the SP but found it perfect as is. and now I have 3L of Raspberry Wine aging & waiting for the first real taste. Roy

Thanks! I have Cotes de Blanc and Cuvee yeast. Which is closest to EC1118? Is there a table somewhere to cross reference yeasts?

Whatever yeast works for the original wine will work. I've used all different kinds. You want a vigorous ferment of whatever you choose.

Debbie

Back