WineXpert South African Shiraz Cabernet Shipped Today!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
:db

I have the CC Showcase Yakima Syrah in Primary, which will be immediately followed by the LR Tempranillo Garnacha. I need more carboys to make room for this!

Checked my email and got my tracking email.

I wonder what yeast will be in the kit?

hope not ec-118.

I am waiting for my local guy to give me a call when the Shiraz cab is in. Really glad to hear it has Rc212 as the yeast. I just found out my Tempranillo-Garnacha is on the way too. :sm

Haven't opened my yet, great to see a decent yeast and lot of oak. Will pitch yeast on Sunday.

Karaloak. You said you dump the grape skins directly into the fermentation bucket without putting them is the sleeve What is the pros and cons of doing it your way. I guess my concern would be filtration Thanks

I like using the sleeve so I can squeeze the grape skins each day. I think I get better extraction.

Karaloak. You said you dump the grape skins directly into the fermentation bucket without putting them is the sleeve What is the pros and cons of doing it your way. I guess my concern would be filtration Thanks

I just posted this in another relevant thread, but the first few kits I made, I couldn't manage dumping the grape pack into the straining bag, so I threw it into the primary directly. Major PITA when it came time to rack. I had to use a pasta strainer to make a "wellhole" in the sludge/skins/pips/chips to siphon out of. I am very happy to use bags now. I even started putting the oak chips in the bag, too. I just racked out of primary earlier today, and it was the easiest ever.

I think more people than not will say that adding the grape pack directly into the wine is more trouble than it is worth when you rack the wine.

I agree to use the cloth bag. I asked the question because I thought I was missing something

In a a few kits that I have made the bag kept flowing on top and I had a hard time sinking it. so I stop using it. When racking I just simply put a paint strainer bag (Home Depot small size) over my racking cane with a rubber band and off I go. The flow rate is a bit slower but never clog.

In a a few kits that I have made the bag kept flowing on top and I had a hard time sinking it. so I stop using it. When racking I just simply put a paint strainer bag (Home Depot small size) over my racking cane with a rubber band and off I go. The flow rate is a bit slower but never clog.

I find that if I squeeze the sleeve with my gloved sanitized hands the bag sinks to the bottom of the fermentation bucket. Over the next 24 hours the sleeve rises to the top of the must. I just squeeze it again getting good extraction repeating the process once or twice daily.

I found there is no problem getting the grape skins into the sleeve if you first put the sleeve into a bowl hooking the edges around the side of the bowl. I use aluminum bowl that has a lip Around the edge for the sleeve to cling too.

Latest posts

Back