Snowstorm right after Bud Break

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had that happen a few years back. That's why they come equiped with secondary buds! I didn't get the crop that I usually did, but looking at the vines two monthes later, you would never know they froze out the first buds!

You might get lucky. They are still buttoned up pretty tight. Also depends on how low your temp got. Light freeze vs hard freeze.

So I went out and gave them a look. My hope was that the snow and ice from the night before gave them good enough cover for the 2-3 hours of sub 32 temps we had. Unfortunately It looks like most of them are in fact gone:

IMG_0255.jpg IMG_0257.jpg

Most of them were about this length. There are a few that haven't gotten that far so it's possible that I'll still have something to work with from the primaries. Otherwise those secondary buds will have to be doing the work.

The question is now do I go and remove the dead primaries? They're spongy, wet, and dead, which makes me nervous that they'll end up playing host to all kinds of fungus. Thoughts?

Back