slurry/lees floating in SP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotGut76

Reaction score
I did my first racking of SP. I added the Kmeta and sorbate. I let it sit overnight before adding the clearing agent and I found little balls of what looks like yeast sediment or slurry floating at the top of the carboy.

I tapped the walls of the carboy and gave it a little shake and most of it fell to the bottom.

I added the clearing agent as per instructions and the wine is clearing very quickly but there are still a few balls of sediment at the top.

I'm assuming I can remove them during the next racking but I'm curious why this happened and if it has or will negatively effect the batch.

My guess and it is only a guess, you wound up with some co2 trapped in the lees. When you disturbed them, they floated up. I would rack them off and forget about them. Good luck with it, Arne.

No worries. Could be co2 lifting sediment, piece of lemon pulp, sorbate that didn't immediately dissolve etc. get it next time is right.

I allow 6 weeks to clear. Most allow 4 weeks. Your choice.

It is probably c02. If it is it's not a big deal, but your wine is not degassed.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Back