slow to ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In that case, make sure it's warm enough (75F) and stir a few times a day for a few days

I became Inpatient waiting for Ferm to kick start, so I added a second packet of Lalvin 1118.
And stired,
Stirred and Stirred.
Last night I gave a 1/2 tsp of yeast energizer and shortly after a stir I had noticable bubbles and noticable ferm.

I know that hearing small bubbles is ferm, but I needed to get it moving!

For the record I hate slow ferm!!!!!

Checked Sg when I came home 1.060.
This morning I had a nice thick layer of yeast and bubbles. By the time I got home from work it had dissipated and there was activity albeit just tiny bubbles.
I know the must is not cold, my house is 81 degrees, and the must is 75.

I have had slow ferms before, but not this slow.
Could it be because I went a little strong on lemon juice 14 oz per 1 gallon?
Too much lemon?

I have added extra yeast, yeast nutrient and yeast energizer.
I am beyond frustrated. I know I have to be patient, but I want to move to secondary so I can start a 6 gallon of DB!

:ts :ts :ts :ts

Last edited:
Checked Sg when I came home 1.060.
This morning I had a nice thick layer of yeast and bubbles. By the time I got home from work it had dissipated and there was activity albeit just tiny bubbles.
I know the must is not cold, my house is 81 degrees, and the must is 75.

I have had slow ferms before, but not this slow.
Could it be because I went a little strong on lemon juice 14 oz per 1 gallon?
Too much lemon?

I have added extra yeast, yeast nutrient and yeast energizer.
I am beyond frustrated. I know I have to be patient, but I want to move to secondary so I can start a 6 gallon of DB!

:ts :ts :ts :ts

You might be right, you probably have too much lemon. It's too acidic and maybe killing the yeast.

When I make SP I only use 64 oz for 6 gallons. ~11 oz per gallon. I add the third 32 oz of lemon juice once it has fermented down to around 1.03 to 1.00.

I did make a batch with extra lemon and, honestly, it was a little too tart.

Try dumping some out and filling with water to get around 10 to 11 oz of lemon per gallon. Ferment down then add more lemon when you go to secondary.

Try dumping some out and filling with water to get around 10 to 11 oz of lemon per gallon. Ferment down then add more lemon when you go to secondary.

I added another 1/2 gallon of water
And I may dump in a 3rd packet of yeast to fire this back up.

I will just split the mix into a 2 different sized carboys!

See if this works!

Try a yeast starter to get the yeast going first.
1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp grape juice or lemone juice
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp sugar
1 package yeast
Let set overnight then pour it in in the morning..

I always use this for SP or other highly acidic wine and have had good luck with it.

I am currently having the same problem. I have been in the primary for about 10 days. Just racked it into a secondary. My SG has gone from 1.070 to 1.010 but now it is quiet. Air lock is not doing anything. Any advice on what I should doat this stage? I don't think it is ever going to go to 1.000.

I am currently having the same problem. I have been in the primary for about 10 days. Just racked it into a secondary. My SG has gone from 1.070 to 1.010 but now it is quiet. Air lock is not doing anything. Any advice on what I should doat this stage? I don't think it is ever going to go to 1.000.

10 days for SP to drop that much is right on target, at least for every batch I have ever made & they always fermented dry. Do not worry about not seeing much in terms of airlock activity, such a horrid indicator, as your wine can slowly be fermenting and the CO2 is dissolving into the liquid rather than escaping to the extent you see rapid airlock movement. With summer upon us do not forget to consider the temp, especially if you have your must tucked away in a cool basement. I say check the SG in another 3-4 days, but honestly it can take more than a week (or longer) for those final points to drop. If they don't you simply will not need to backsweeten as much, and you can boost the ACV with vodka or pure grain if you want to.

Checked this AM, my SG is now 1.020.
Of course I gave it some more yeast energizer, which seems to help alot.

So 2 questions,
At what SG do I transfer to secondary? 1.010?

I orginally had 14 oz of lemon juice for 1 gallon of water.
I boosted up the must to 1.5 gallon to cut the acidity.
Do I need more lemon juice or is 14 Oz ok for 1.5 gallon?

Wine making teaches us patience.

Lol, I use to say that I prayed to God for patience and he gave a daughter, :) now I say that I prayed for patience and God gave me the desire to make wine! :h

Well mine is crawling slowly but surely. It's down to .998 but I'm going to see if it'll keep going.

Lime sp is at 1.012 in primary. I'm going to wait till under 1.01 to move it to secondary.

Next batch is going to be strawberry started off my strawberry slurry and I'm going to put 5lb of strawberries into primary with it.

Finished the SP today but its a real pale yellow. Almost looks like water in a glass but tastes great. Could the sparkaloid stripped color?

ForumRunner_20130617_115012.jpg

Finished the SP today but its a real pale yellow. Almost looks like water in a glass but tastes great. Could the sparkaloid stripped color?

View attachment 8632

I am not going to use Sparkalloid on mine.
Mine is still in the final stages of secondary and it is Pee yellow, but clear of any cloudyness.

My skeeter pee is a slight yellow color also. I sparkaloid it. Look at a pino grigio and you see the same thing.

Back