Slow start

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockofNJ

Junior
Reaction score
I started 1 gallon of apple cider a few weeks ago and had a hard time getting it to bubble. I added enough sugar to bring it up to 1.080 SP then added the yeast nutrient as instructed on the package, 1 tbls if I remember correctly. I then rehydrated a pack of yeast (212 wine yeast) and nothing happened for a week.

So I then rehydrated a pack of 1118 yeast pitched it and got a very slow fermentation, it bubbles about once a minute. It stopped after a couple of days so I stirred it and it started back up. It has either stopped or it bubbles so infrequently I don’t see it.
I’m pretty sure there is still sugar in the must, what did I do wrong?

Any advice? I have two more gallons of cider in the fridge I would like to make into wine or hard cider.

Were you keeping the temperature in the low to mid 70's F?

Temp is very important. You really should have a temp of mid 70's especially when getting the fermentation going! Once its going good with a white or light fruit wine you can lower the temp down until the sg starts to get around 1.030 or there abouts and then youll want to get the temp back up so that it doesnt have a hard time finishing. Other then that did you use and if so how much sulfite did you use? Was this fresh cider or was it something from a grocer store and if the later what was in the ingredients?

RockofNJ...

What is the current sg?

Visual signs of fermentation are highly overrated

Steve

Yeah, meant to ask that also!! To add to what we've said, nit all yeasts will fermentfast and foam up like crazy. Some yeasts are designed to be low foamers and slow fermenters and this is a desierd trait when fermenting a light or fruit wine so as not to burn outn the fruitiness during fermentation.

Let me answer all the questions thus far.

The cider I bought was from a grocery store and it has Potassium sorbate and Sodium benzoate in it but people on this forum have used Welch’s juice and that must have preservatives in it too, right?

I have one of those thermo tapes on it and it is reading 72 degrees F

I have not taken another SP reading since it is only been bubbling for a few days

Let me answer all the questions thus far.

The cider I bought was from a grocery store and it has Potassium sorbate and Sodium benzoate in it but people on this forum have used Welch’s juice and that must have preservatives in it too, right?

I have one of those thermo tapes on it and it is reading 72 degrees F

I have not taken another SP reading since it is only been bubbling for a few days

No Welch's does not have sorbate and we stress on here if you are going to make wine from store bought juice make sure it does not have sorbate. The sorbate is preventing your yeast from growing and working.

To be honest I am not sure if you are going to get this must to ferment out completely, I would whip it to introduce more oxygen.

Sorbate Blues

Is there any way to get the sorbate out? Additive or cooking it out?

Latest posts

Back