Silly questions from a first-timer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boozinsusan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been reading/lurking here, and now wonder if I may get some advice. I am fermenting my first batch of wine (5 gal), made with friends. It is a cherry wine with raspberries, blackberries, and gooseberries added.

Last year, the same wine was 27% when finished. I made the wine with them (I think they think it is a source of pride to have high alcohol content in the wine) again this year, and will leave it that way. I am bottling in beer bottles instead of wine bottles, since that is a more appropriate amount for 2 or 3 people.

I am thinking he uses a yeast that is for higher alcohol content, but am wondering what else I can do later to keep the alcohol at a more drinkable level in other wines/batches?

There two primary variables that determine the final alcohol content of a wine. The first is its initial sugar content which is measured with a hydrometer. The second is the yeast used during fermentation. If the sugar content of the wine is high, as it apparently is in the wines you speak of, and a yeast with a lower alcohol tolerance level is used, the finished wine will be very sweet. Thus, what you need to do, if you have not done so already, is purchase yourself a hydrometer and keep the starting SG of this wine in the 1.085-1.095 range. I would then recommend a widely available yeast such as Montrachet which can easily handle the alcohol levels produced at these sugar levels. This will produce a fruitier tasting wine and not "rocket fuel".

By the way, no questions are silly. You will find the folks at this site to be well-informed and more than willing to help you.

Drinking wine like that, no wonder you have the name BoozinSusan!

Welcome to the forum. I hope you continue to come out of the shadows. We don't bite, or at least not many of us and then not tooo hard.

appleman said:
We don't bite, or at least not many of us and then not tooo hard.

And then only when asked
smiley36.gif
!

Welcome to the forum.
VC

Smokegrub summed it all up as its all in the amount of sugar you use and the yeast you use. So for the wine you want to make with a lower abv you will cut down on the sugar added in the beginning.Im assuming you meant 27 proof instead of 27% as no yeast will go that high. Ask any questions you want as thats why we are here and if you dont understand what we meant by something dont be afraid to say so as some of us have v=been doing this stuff for awhile and forget to be more simple sometimes and use abbreviations that only a seasoned wine maker may know.

Hey, Susan, its your friendly mail gal! Welcome to the forum; these guys and gals know their stuff about fruit wines.

Hey, moto-girl!

You found me! Thanks for recommending this site - I have learned a LOT!

Although, sometimes, answers bring about different questions!

When are we having a wine tasting? Oh, I bet we have to wait until I have some to share too......

:)

appleman said:
Drinking wine like that, no wonder you have the name BoozinSusan!

That's why I chose the name I chose - I will always remember my first question here.... and be reminded of it too.

And thanks for not biting "tooooo hard"

Please be gentle with me....

I have more than enough to share until yours are ready, we just need to pick a time.

Latest posts

Back