sickly sweet smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjowolf

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am on my second "wine" making mission in NZ, and have had the same issue for both wines, first: loquat, second: red plum.
All goes well initially, with great week long fermentation with fruit in primary.
The day after the removal of the fruit pulp however, the wine starts to get a sickly sweet smell that lingers in your nostrils. The hygrometer reads the same as water, and fermentation stops.

I am terrified that bacteria is compromising my batches, but I am trying hard to avoid this.

The plum wine is one day after pulp removal. Possibly not enough sugar to start with?
The loquat is bottled after a second fermentation, but still tasted a bit rough.

Help would be much appreciated!

These are very young wines! Wine needs a lot of time to mellow out when fermentation is done. Fruit wines tend to need about 4-6 months after fermentation while red grape wines tend to need at least 8 months and usually more. If you bottled any wine shortly after fermentaion then Im willing to bet you are going to get lots of sediment in your bottles. Did you add any sulfites after fermentation was done?

Thanks for the response.

The plum wine, is very young yes, and has not been bottled, it is still in the primary. Since the SG is 1.000 I am assuming I need to add more sugar? There is very little sediment in the bottom, and no bubbling also, so I am wondering whether I make a starter and get fermentation going again?

The loquat wine was botted after 4 months, with lots of racking and clearing before hand. But still did not taste very good.
1 camden tablet was added for each gallon after fermentation, and at each racking.

Thanks for the response.

The plum wine, is very young yes, and has not been bottled, it is still in the primary. Since the SG is 1.000 I am assuming I need to add more sugar? There is very little sediment in the bottom, and no bubbling also, so I am wondering whether I make a starter and get fermentation going again?

The loquat wine was botted after 4 months, with lots of racking and clearing before hand. But still did not taste very good.
1 camden tablet was added for each gallon after fermentation, and at each racking.

Why do you want to add more sugar? If it is done or close to it, get it racked to a carboy and let it settle out. Then if you want it sweeter add the proper sulfite and sorbate and sweeten with sugar water.

It sounds like you have plenty of sulfites in the loquat-maybe even too much.

I agree with grapeman, the rule of thumb is to add typically 1 tablet for each gallon when racking, but I've read and noticed that many people begin to shave that number down as the racking continues to avoid having too many sulfites.

So, if the SG is the same as water after fermentation, that is ok? does this not mean there will be no alcohol?

What was the SG when you started?

SG will decrease as fermentation takes place because the yeast takes the sugar and converts it into alcohol and carbon dioxide. This will cause the SG to go down, as alcohol is lighter than water.

You are the second person today to think this. a SG of 1.000 means it is almost dry and has fermented about 98% of the sugar so it is almost done. If you began at a potential alchohol of 12% or around 1.085, the potential alchohol goes down as the actual alchohol goes up. If you don't take a starting specific gravity, begin doing it now!

Thanks heaps for your help, I have only just managed to order a hygrometer, so I don't have a measurement before fermentation sorry. it is now reading 1.010 (but it is cooler this morning). Sorry about the complete lack of knowledge when it comes to hygrometers:?
It sounds like I should just chill out, rack to the secondary and leave it for a while?

Thanks heaps for your help, I have only just managed to order a hygrometer, so I don't have a measurement before fermentation sorry. it is now reading 1.010 (but it is cooler this morning). Sorry about the complete lack of knowledge when it comes to hygrometers:?
It sounds like I should just chill out, rack to the secondary and leave it for a while?

There is no need to apologize! We are all learning here (even the more experienced makers learn something new now and then!)

I don't think you mentioned that you backsweetened the loquat wine. You might find that adding a little sweetness will help the flavor out. From what I understand about fruit wines, a little sugar sometimes can bring out the more subtle flavors of the fruit...and it will cover up some of the harshness.

As for the sickly sweet smell, you might could apply that some description to some very young wines. I've had beaujolais nouveau (intentionally young wine) that has the aroma of cotton candy. As the wine ages and you let the chemistry continue to take place, that should change at least some.

I hope you ordered a Hydrometer and not a Hygrometer. A hydrometer measure the sugar levels in wine and a hygrometer measures the humidity in a space. If you did order a hygrometer you can use that to monitor your wine cellar.

Latest posts

Back