Cellar Craft Showcase Selection - Red Mountain Cabernet - with

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

admiral

Reaction score
I started this wine today. SG was 1.094 @ 70 degrees. Looks good. This one has Hungarian Oak Shavings for primary fermentation and Hungarian Oak Cubes for aging. Instructions call for yeast nutrient before secondary fermentation, however the kit did not contain any nutrient. I have some in my stock. How much should I add?

20091017_155947_P1010131_Small.JPG

I would add about 1.5 tsp during your rack to secondary, around the 1.020 mark.

Thanks, Dean. That's is what I was thinking. However, the packaging of the nutient says, "one tsp. per gallon of must." That seems like too much to me.

That would be if you needed it for the whole fermentation. There already is nutrient in there, they just want you to bolster it up a bit, so just under 1/3 the dose should do it.

Lookin good!

I made this one back in July. I think the oak cubes are about ready to come out. Will be bulk aging for a year on this one. It does seem to be dropping a bit of sediment still after fining and racking.

Admiral, I think you are confusing the instructions with a mosti kit unless celler craft just changed them as i am also doing a red mountain cab and there is no mention of adding a yeast nutrient per instructions, i do not think it would hurt in any way but aren't you also doing a masters chard? and that would have you add the yeast nutrient at first racking but if youare doing a mostikit as welljust make sure you do not confuse racking all of the sediment like a mosti kit.

Seagrape, you are exactly right! Thanks. Must remember to keep them separate.
smiley20.gif

I racked this wine today and added the Hungarian Oak. It finished at .996 which gives me an ABV of 13%. The wine is a deep purple. However, I did note the white film that has been discussed elsewhere and is now being addressed with the addition of an enzyme. It was a great deal of film but it was noticeable.

I plan to leave this on the oak and taste monthly for up to 3 months. Then rack and bulk age for at least six months.

I hope this is a good Cab... I just ordered one today!!!

I am going to oak mine in a hungarian oak barrel.... YEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!

I just dealt with the film in my redmountain cabwine although my understanding is that it will not hurt the wine it made me crazy!!!i withheld the clarifier when i stabilized and saw a lot of this film i then waited 6 days and racked and added a little more k-meta and the clarafier and low and behold so far so good it looks great! BTW this wine tastes fantastic already!!!!!

You know, I just finished the first month of this bulk aging on the provided Hungarian oak and there is no evidence of the white film. I have done nothing other that to give it a nice, warm (74 degree) spot to age. All but a couple of pieces of oak have sunk to the bottom.

Yeah my understanding is it's hit or miss with the film but cellar craft has corrected it with the additon of the enzyme packet which should be with all cellar craft wines now, luckily i was able to deal with it.

Goodfella, this is a VERY good cab!! I opened one at 10 months and it is beefy already!! I think you will be happy with this one.
smiley4.gif

uavwmn, don't go making me try my patience. I have been a good boy up till now and I want to continue. Mutters to self, "Must be patient, must be patient, must be patient."
smiley1.gif

admiral said:
uavwmn, don't go making me try my patience. I have been a good boy up till now and I want to continue. Mutters to self, "Must be patient, must be patient, must be patient."
smiley1.gif

Cover, hide, and then make more wine!

uavwmn said:
Goodfella, this is a VERY good cab!! I opened one at 10 months and it is beefy already!! I think you will be happy with this one.
smiley4.gif

Thanks for the vote of confidence....

FYI.... I asked George, "If you could only make one Cab in your life... What is it"????...... "Red Mtn Cab"

OK, I give how do you delete a post. I doubled up on a post and want to get rid of the second post.

Goodfella said:
uavwmn said:
smiley4.gif

Thanks for the vote of confidence....

FYI.... I asked George, "If you could only make one Cab in your life... What is it"????...... "Red Mtn Cab"

Latest posts

Back