Cellar Craft Showcase Kit Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terroirdejeroir

Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations for a CC Showcase kit to make. I have already made the South African Shiraz and the Red Mountain Cabernet - both very delightful.

I am considering Chateau du Pays, Walla Walla Cab/Merlot, Yakima Valley Merlot, Amarone, and Austrian Zweigelt. I would appreciate any feedback from those who have made any of these kits.

I would be open to non CC kits, but it would have to be a kit with some kind of a grape pack, skins, etc. I have RJS Super Tuscan and MM Sonoma Yakima Syrah in bulk aging right now....

CC Old Vines Zin turned out very nice. Rosso Fortissimo great.

I've only done the CC Red Mountain Trio and the CC Old Vine Zinfandel. Of the two, I actually like the zinfandel better. Both are good though. They also still need aging, I have sneaked a sample here and there of both though. I'll know more in about 9 months.

I haven't done any of the En Primeur kits

Have you thought about the En Primeur Amarone?

Have you done the Showcase as well for comparison? I was just going based on satisfaction with the other kits and slight price advantage.

Tell me about your Amarone....

I haven't made an Amarone, but have read here that it is the best one. It will be one of my next purchases though.

I just finished bottling Showcase Amarone. Man it is awesome. I bulk aged it for 10 months - had just the half left after bottling. Going to put the rest away for 2 or 3 months. Very very smooth.

Just to make your decision even even harder, I made the Chateau du Pays and was quite pleased :b

Chateau du Pays is unoaked ? I think it will be my next kit. Have an RJS Winery Series Super Tuscon almost ready to bottle (9 months in the carboy so far), and En Primeur Chilean Carmenere in the carboy for about a month.

I have an RJS Super Tuscan in bottles(Dec). And an MM 23 litre Amarone also bottled in Dec that tasted SO good at that time. I loved the fermentation. Thankfully it was in a 30 liter bucket.

FWIW, I eventually chose to buy the Showcase Walla Walla Cab/Merlot Blend and the Showcase OVZ. Just finished secondary fermentation this week. Both batches went to .990. Delighted with the Walla Walla kit as it is far and away the best tasting kit at 20 days I have ever made - we will see what that means down the road. I have been so happy with this line of kits (also made Red Mountain Cab and SA Shiraz) that I ordered the Amarone kit.

Good to hear! I have the CC Showcase Cab/Merlot resting quietly in the cellar. It spent 3 months in a barrel and had extra tannin added. I have already opened both splits and they were amazing at ~18 months.

Waiting for 2 years on this one! :db

What cellar craft to try next?

I have made most of the Showcase Series, and the top 4 are Amarone ( of course) Temperanilo, Rosso Fortissimo and Chateau de Pays - if you can get it.
I don;t now what they do differently, but their quality is better than anybody elses. And if you can qait for 6-9 months on the Chateau it will blow your head off. Mind lasted about 6.1 months.
The CC Sterling Series is not quite as good, but at a different price point.
Ric

My LHBS has a CC Cab-Shiraz Yakima Valley, anyone tried that? Quite certain my next kit will be either that or the Cab-Merlot.

He also has a CC Showcase pure Cabernet, but I don't see it on their website and no one here is discussing it. Anyone heard of it?

I have made two batches of the CC Red Mountain and I must say, they are great! Overall, I think the CC's are a notch better than the others, grape for grape. Any of the kits with grape skin packs are significantly better than the non-skin kits.
Cheers, Gary

I'll have to double check the kit at the LHBS, I know it was a pure Cab, but i don't remember the exact name. What struck me was that it was also from Washington, which makes four CC kits from that state. I like it, since it's close to where I live; I try to go local as much as possible...

I'll have to double check the kit at the LHBS, I know it was a pure Cab, but i don't remember the exact name. What struck me was that it was also from Washington, which makes four CC kits from that state. I like it, since it's close to where I live; I try to go local as much as possible...

Yup, sounds like the Red Mountain Cabernet. (Red Mountain is near the Tri-Cities in WA.) As I say, lots of people here have raved about it.

From the Vineco website:

Cabernet Red Mountain

Cellar Craft Showcase Sugar Code: 0 Alcohol Vol:
Red Mountain officially received AVA (American Viticulture Area) status in 2001. The vineyards have high calcium carbonate content in their soil. This imparts a distinctive chalkiness which combines with the powerful dark fruit qualities of the grape to create the big, chewy mouth-feel that is a clear signature of Red Mountain Cabernet. Another distinction is a hint of orange peel or Grand Marnier-like aromatics and flavours. Together these two traits make Red Mountain Cabernet immediately recognizable, highly prized, and much sought after. Age the wine at least 1 year; then save some to enjoy after 2, 3, or 4 years in the bottle. A wine for your best cuts of beef or lamb and luckiest friends.

Back