Other Should I top up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japaisley1

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am working on my first kit ever. A 4 week chiraz kit from Costco.

I have just started my secondary fermentation process, and noticed how much room I have in the car boy. I'm guessing I just didn't add enough water when I started out. I wondering if I should be topping off my wine. There is quote a bit of head space- probably 2 or 3 inches from the neck. I am worried it will interfere with the wine. What do you think?:?

Thanks!

that is great thank you. I am fine with it as long as its not going to ruin my wine. I just thought the extra oxygen was bad for it.

that is great thank you. I am fine with it as long as its not going to ruin my wine. I just thought the extra oxygen was bad for it.

Oxygen is bad, but at the stage you are in, still fermenting in a carboy, there is a layer of CO2 protecting your wine and pushing the oxygen out of your airlock, so no worries at this stage.

Next step, when fermentation is over, that protection is gone, so when your next scheduled racking occurs, you'll be adding some chemicals to protect your wine and aid in clearing, degassing, etc.. At that stage you should be planning to have some similar wine on hand to top up with, to within a couple of inches of the underside of the stopper, up inside the neck of the carboy.

Great info:) Thank you!!!

What if I have not had my wine back to the 65 F + since I started the secondary? will the co2 still be protecting it? I have it in a closet and thought it was ok to be cool at this point( 60-65 f) I am just realizing that now that it should still be about 70-75 Should it be still ok? I'm going to get it heated back up this evening. I was just under the impression it was ok at a lower temp for secondary and now learning I need to get the temp back up. I am on day 3 of the secondary. I see some bubbles on the top of the wine. Not a whole lot of action.

Last edited:
You should get it heated back up to complete fermentation, hopefully the cooling has just slowed things down to a crawl, even so, I wouldn't anticipate a major issue.
In the future, keep it at proper temps all of the way through both stages of alcoholic fermentation, in the primary bucket and the carboy, better to keep it going than starting an slowing.

Did you not fill your primary to a specific mark on the bucket or carboy? Mark them first chance you get if you haven't already done so.

Ifin you're talking about a 23L/6 gal. kit I would have no qualms about adding up to 500ML of water to top off - not for secondary, for bulk aging after degassing, stabilization and clearing.

Bill- Yes I thought I filled it up to the mark, but I am guessing I didn't fill to the mark exactly. Good info. I will make sure I will fill it right to the mark next time.

thanks for the link Steve, I will check out your products:)

Bill- Yes I thought I filled it up to the mark, but I am guessing I didn't fill to the mark exactly. Good info. I will make sure I will fill it right to the mark next time.

thanks for the link Steve, I will check out your products:)

Actually, carboys vary quite a bit in volume. Mine are about 24 L (Italian carboys).

Hello all,

Hello all.
It is day 5 of my secondary and there is no action going on. And I'm noticing condensation on the inside of the carboy. What do you think? Is it too early to rack? Should I take a reading? Is it safe to wait another couple days with that room in the carboy?

I'm not sure how long your Costco kit says to remain in secondary, but I'll usually leave it in their 10-14 days. You've already left the gross lees behind, so things should be fine. Thief a little wine tomorrow and see what your SG reading is.....

Update: This is day 16. Day 7on secondary. I checked the SG and is .992. No bubbling and I tasted it. It is very, very good, but strong:) smells really good too. It is definitely fizzy tasting though. De-gassing and stabilizing probably Tuesday. It says to do the next steps on day 18.do you think I should wait?

Update: This is day 16. Day 7on secondary. I checked the SG and is .992. No bubbling and I tasted it. It is very, very good, but strong:) smells really good too. It is definitely fizzy tasting though. De-gassing and stabilizing probably Tuesday. It says to do the next steps on day 18.do you think I should wait?

The way I decide is whichever takes the longer of the time and SG. I would wait until day 18.

Top up your carboy with a similar wine.

You might want to leave a little room for degassing. If you top up now and degass with a full carboy you'll understand why you should have topped off after while your cleaning up s mess...

Latest posts

Back