Should I top up?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

femki

Junior
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I transferred my pee to my secondary after a week of active fermentation. Starting SG was 1.080, current SG is 1.018. I thought I followed the recipe well, but I have some headspace in my secondary. My question is, should I top up with water, or will I be OK?

This is my first batch of pee and my first home ferment.

ForumRunner_20120421_112546.jpg

Hey guys and gals, I transferred my pee to my secondary after a week of active fermentation. Starting SG was 1.080, current SG is 1.018. I thought I followed the recipe well, but I have some headspace in my secondary. My question is, should I top up with water, or will I be OK?

This is my first batch of pee and my first home ferment.

You'll be OK as is. Since it's still fermenting, after you attach the airlock, the CO2 produced will fill up all the empty space and push any oxygen in the headspace out the airlock. After a day or so, it should be 100% CO2 above the wine. I like to leave a little space up top so that you have room for the addition of sugar. The sugar dissolves into the liquid, but it does increase the volume. After stabilizing and sweetening, you can top up if you decide to leave it in the carboy for a while before bottling.

Eliminating headspace is important AFTER fermentation. Oxygen that contacts will begin to oxidize your wine.

You are good for now.

Back