Should I put my blackberry wine through MLF?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveTheWine

Reaction score
Has anyone done this?:a1

My plan so far:
-water back slightly (for PH/acid reduction)
-use Lalvin 71B-1122, pectic enzime ect...
-Use full fruit in mesh bags during ferment (previously frozen)
-use a bunch of pressed skins like a 2nd run (I'm fermenting grapes just before)

*I like my blackberry wine to taste like a dry med bodied table wine, not a sweet blackberry pie

Yes.......You can put Blackberry through MLF. Blackberries contain a high amount of Malic Acid. I see you are using 71b, this will consume some of the Malic acid. Cheers!

i wouldnt use the skins of the grapes...
I have made a ton of blackberry wine, there isnt as much malic acid in them as in grapes. if wanting a medium bodied table wine, you will have to back sweeten just a little....black berries are from from being sweet.
i juiced 100 lbs a month ago..it smelled wonderfull..dipped a cup in the juice to get a taste, and spit it out it was so sour.

Using the skins would be a good idea to add more body. Adding second skins are done to wines in the Veneto of Italy.

The sourness is from the Malic Acid, it is the predominant acid in Blackberries.

you can add a banana to blackberry wine for body....and it really does make a difference.
malic acid does make the berries taste sour...for sure.
but its not as much as in grapes...and acid blend usually takes care of the amount in blackberries..
just my thought...i have made 400 lbs of blackberries into wine since march.
i have yet to have one need mlf...
just saying, not advising/

Sounds a lot like a batch of wine I made..

I had 5 gallons of acidic blackberry wine from the previous year, 25lbs picked from the season, and the skins of 150lbs of Riesling at my disposal; this was last fall.

In went the 25lbs of berries, in went the 5 gallons of 2011 blackberry wine, and in went ~100lbs of the grape skins.

Also added Booster Rouge, FT Rouge Soft, Opti-Red

Pitched a yeast called Rhone 4600

It's amazing, although acidic still, and I have no wish to sweeten it, so, I'll be MLFing that myself, in the coming weeks/month

Havent really seen it done much on the forum, but I'm excited about it.
Havent recommended it to many, because I havent done it and seen the results yet

Thanks for the response everyone.

I'm just a bit worried that MLF will deplete all the Malic leaving an unbalanced wine.
I've done the blackberry and grape skins before and it works awesome, gives a dark color to the wine and adds body/tannin. My dad hates fruit wine but loves this, says it tastes like a grape wine.:pee

you can add a banana to blackberry wine for body....and it really does make a difference.
malic acid does make the berries taste sour...for sure.
but its not as much as in grapes...and acid blend usually takes care of the amount in blackberries..
just my thought...i have made 400 lbs of blackberries into wine since march.
i have yet to have one need mlf...
just saying, not advising/

James, Nice work with the 400LBS...
The banana idea is great however...
Acid blend will add acid to the wine not take acid away (maybe I mis-understood? Acidex maybe).
I appreciate the style of wine you are making... very blackberry flavored with some sweetness to hide the tang? Not the style I'm going for though.
I like mine to taste like a med/full grape style with a hint of blackberry.

I achieved this last year but it is a bit tart.... just gotta fine tune now.

The other thing is I only have about 18 LB so its only going to do a half batch

Sounds a lot like a batch of wine I made..

I had 5 gallons of acidic blackberry wine from the previous year, 25lbs picked from the season, and the skins of 150lbs of Riesling at my disposal; this was last fall.

In went the 25lbs of berries, in went the 5 gallons of 2011 blackberry wine, and in went ~100lbs of the grape skins.

Also added Booster Rouge, FT Rouge Soft, Opti-Red

Pitched a yeast called Rhone 4600

It's amazing, although acidic still, and I have no wish to sweeten it, so, I'll be MLFing that myself, in the coming weeks/month

Havent really seen it done much on the forum, but I'm excited about it.
Havent recommended it to many, because I havent done it and seen the results yet

This is gunna be soooo good!

If you use the 71B, you won't need to MLF. We do alot of blackberry, and the 71B does a good job of removing the harshness--even on blackberry with no water added.

Back