Sell me on the All in One Wine Pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The racking cane has a plastic tip on it which keeps the inlet slightly off the bottom. When you rack the carboy or primary tip it a bit with something to elevate one side(block of wood, wood clamp or whatever that is an inch or so). Don't worry about a bit of sediment transfer at first racking. Subsequent rackings get cleared and clearer. You should not lose more than a couple cups total with all your rackings.

The racking cane has a plastic tip on it which keeps the inlet slightly off the bottom. When you rack the carboy or primary tip it a bit with something to elevate one side(block of wood, wood clamp or whatever that is an inch or so). Don't worry about a bit of sediment transfer at first racking. Subsequent rackings get cleared and clearer. You should not lose more than a couple cups total with all your rackings.

Yeah, I learned about the tipping of the carboy, but when I do that, even carefully, it stirs up some sediment off the bottom. I guess I was just overly paranoid about getting ANY sediment after the first racking. This next batch I'm going to just do what I gotta do and try to minimize waste and just sift out the sediment that transfers, during the second racking.

I do the following -
I use a racking cane holder
( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064ODDXW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 ) and set the depth of the cane approx 1/3 off the bottom. Once I get close I will then tip the carboy and use a block of wood to keep the carboy tilted. Then I will remove the racking cane holder and with a light to see where the cane with the sediment tip is - slowly lowering it down with one hand as the other hand is on the vacuum release - ready to stop the vacuum any time I start pulling ant sediment.

Remember when transferring from side to side - make sure you allow a bit of air in the transfer tube so you do not create a back siphoning effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should if said - make sure you suck in a bit of air , at the end of transferring. Otherwise water will seek it's own level and start filling the carboy you just emptied.
It is really simple in general -
Try typing to someone how to ride a bike for the first time, once they learned they never forget

I do my rackings a little differently in order to avoid sucking or disturbing the sediment.

I use 2 receiving carboys (or an extra gallon jug). I rack 1/2 into carboy #1 (or fill the gallon jug).
When you stop the transfer at this point, the backwash of the racking cane does not stir up the sediment.

I then rack into carboy #2. I slowly tilt the carboy towards the end, and rack until I start pulling sediment.

I stop the racking by lifting the racking cane out of the wine, and using the valve to release the vacuum. That causes some bubbling in the receiving carboy, hence the need to have a lot of headspace there.

The AIO is not good at transferring the last little bit into a full carboy. You can easily start sucking wine into the vacuum line. Thus the 2 carboy process. I usually pour the last little bit into the receiving carboy.

Note: This is not a problem with the AIO to fill bottles. That is a slightly different process where you should rack first before bottling. Backwash is then not a problem (and helpful when filling to a uniform level).

I don't see how the headspace eliminator will prevent the wine from air exposure. There is still a lot of surface area exposed to the wine. The best option would be to top up the carboys or rack into a smaller carboy.

I don't see how the headspace eliminator will prevent the wine from air exposure. There is still a lot of surface area exposed to the wine. The best option would be to top up the carboys or rack into a smaller carboy.

I would think creating a negative pressure while doesn't eliminate oxygen completely, greatly reduces the amount of oxygen exposure by minimizing the oxygen molecules within the carboy itself. I've heard Steve note that using it on a half empty carboy is not recommended, but if you can't top off a carboy, it's better than doing nothing.

If you can't top off a container, I would think the absolute best option would be to purge it with an inert gas, but that's easier said than done.

I don't see how the headspace eliminator will prevent the wine from air exposure. There is still a lot of surface area exposed to the wine.

What you want to minimize is O2 exposure. If you drop the air pressure by 1/2, then there is 1/2 as many O2 molecules flying around. Assuming the HE can maintain a 15hg vacuum, that is roughly a 50% drop in air pressure, and available O2.

Note: As you start drawing the vacuum, CO2 will come out of solution (bottom), which means that even more O2 is being drawn out (top) before the O2 has time to fully mix.

Now, if you purge with CO2 or another gas before you start, then O2 in the head space is even less.

What you want to minimize is O2 exposure. If you drop the air pressure by 1/2, then there is 1/2 as many O2 molecules flying around. Assuming the HE can maintain a 15hg vacuum, that is roughly a 50% drop in air pressure, and available O2.

I'm sure someone could do the calculation, but if you half the amount of O2 in a large head space, it would still be more O2 than in a small carboy neck. Then factor in the exposed surface of the wine for absorption.

I guess I would never risk it. I'd remove the headspace by getting the proper sized equipment or filling the carboy with other inert material (marbles, etc.).

What is the headspace eliminator for then, exactly?

Perhaps I've mistaken it's purpose.

Let's not confuse the fact that the headspace eliminator is definitely better than nothing. I think it can be viewed more as a stopgap until a better solution becomes available. (marbles, top off fluid, smaller vessel, etc)

I own one, but haven't yet used it. I am glad to have it if the need ever arises.

There are alot of opinion on this matter -
according to my website it states this -
http://www.allinonewinepump.com/product/headspace-eliminator/

The Eliminator is designed primarily for the first 8 critical weeks of winemaking. From racking to racking, the Eliminator will help prevent oxidation resulting in a better quality wine.

It will pull alot of CO2 out of your wine at the same time - displacing the air in the headspace with CO2.

good links to read -
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53443

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50011

well I made wine for a couple years before I bought a allinonewinepump.com ,,
pro's,
no lifting full carboys, since it is a vacuum pump it will degas like you can not even imagine with no exposure to air, , racking is not only way faster it is far less messy , if you take Steve's link to the whole house filter and buy the housing then on e-bay you can buy polypropylene filters, 5 micron for reds and 1 micron for whites, bottling so easy it aint funny, you set fill line and every bottle fills to exact same LEVEL, makes bottleing many times faster, and far, far less messy, when you buy from Steve he'll want your phone number so he can talk to you about his system, and a very nice bonus you are free after you get your system for any an all questions to call Steve, he is there for you both before an after you buy from him,,, heck I even tried to get his wife's phone number to see if she'd rent Steve out to me,, lol,, don't believe me just ask him,,, to put it to the short answer, YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG BUYING A VACUUM PUMP FROM STEVE,

con's
I did not buy mine two years earlier ,
Dawg::
Richard:h:h

If you have one, sell me on the Wine Pump. What has having one changed for you in your wine making process? What's good about it? What's not so good? What does it do well? Where has it saved you time? What has your experience been? How has it changed the quality of your wines?

Thanks!

Steve color codes his lines so you can make no mistakes,, red to red ,, blue to blue.. that's all there is to it.

How easy are they to use? I've only been making wine for one year and the wine pump looks a little intimidating. Is it something I'll be able to pick up easily and remember how to use? I have memory problems.

Thanks for your responses.

rack each time your gross lees build up on bottom, and it degasses at the same time, so you only rack to clear your wine and it degasses at the same time,,

Thank for your help everyone, I can see no reason not to get one at this point. So to completely degas a wine, I just need to rack it? How many times degasses entirely?

Thanks.

I always make my wines from fresh fruit so I make mine in say 8 gallon then fill a 6 gallon carboy, then the extra I put in gallon to half gallon jugs even extra wine bottles with airlocks that way when you top off it is with the wine you're making,
Dawg::::

Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting one. I mainly want it for the racking and headspace elimination. I am not a fan of topping up after I rack and if this works as well as folks say it does, it sounds perfect. Can't wait to try it.

Latest posts

Back