Sediment of second rack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSmith3011

Reaction score
My Concord finished ferment about October 15. The secondary had about three inches of sediment when I racked it to a clean carboy about Oct 30. It has settled for a month now and has about 1/2 inch of sediment. Question is, how long should I let it sit until the next racking. As a newb I am trying my best not to rush things. I do not however, want it to sit on the lee's too long. Any advice?

it is going to come down to wine making style.....your taste.....i leave many of my wines on these light lees for a year or more....some wine makers stir the lees for a more smooth, creamy and in some cases buttery feel depending on the wine...

others will chime in to add depth and breadth

the more you make wine over the upcoming years the more you will be able to experiment with things and find your own niche

Concord juice or grapes? If you had 3" of sediment, I bet grapes ...

For me, it would depend on what the sediment looks like. If it looks like pure yeast, I'd leave it a bit longer. If the sediment has color, I would be racking.

In fact, it won't hurt anything to go ahead and rack if you're the least bit concerned. Whether or not you have more to top up with is another factor.

Sorry, this was from Concord grapes. The sediment does have a pinkish hue to it but how could it not, with 6 gallons of red above. The concept of stirring the lee's, I thought this was mostly for whites. What would it do for a Concord?

Latest posts

Back