second wine using left over must?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TENNISTOWINE

Reaction score
I just filled up a 6 gallon carboy with jalapena must from my crock and I have about an extra gallon left in the crock. I planned on making another 6 gallon batch. I was wondering if I can add other ingredients minus 1 gallon of water (using the 1 gallon of must) to make 6 gallon? In other words can I add the must that is ready for the carboy to make another batch?

I have never made a second wine from left over must of any type, but there are others on here who have. I'm sure someone will comer along and answer your question.

The extra wine, rack and clear. Save the sediment and start another batch. By adding the 1 gallon back into another must you are throwing away the opportunity of having another gallon.

You will still need nutrients, pectic enzymes, super ferment if you use that and all of your ingredients. Just don't need another pack of yeast.

You can do this only once.

Thanks Steve

I forgot to say the most important - I do not have a stopper for my gallon jug that I was planning on putting my must in. I wanted to start another 6 gal batch but only add 5 gal of liquids to make 6 gal to put in a 6 gal carboy. I would not be wasting the must - just delaying the wine awhile. What do you think? It would take too long to order a stopper for this must. Thanks.

Steve or anyone else with an answer

I forgot to say the most important - I do not have a stopper for my gallon jug that I was planning on putting my must in. I wanted to start another 6 gal batch but only add 5 gal of liquids to make 6 gal to put in a 6 gal carboy. I would not be wasting the must - just delaying the wine awhile. What do you think? It would take too long to order a stopper for this must. Thanks.
I am waiting on your answer. Can I do this?

In a pinch use Saran wrap and a rubberband until you get some extra bungs and airlocks.

Latest posts

Back