Sanitizing Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navyterp

Junior
Reaction score
I know there are alot of different ways on sanitizing, but I was reading one of george's tutorials and it said with the K-meta sanitizing solution you could put the one gallon mixture in the fermenting bucket, put the lid on for a few minutes and the fumes would kill all the bacteria and sanitize it effectively. Has anyone tried this with positive results? It would seem it would be alot easier than trying to swish the mixture around since I always tend to make a mess.

I usually put the lid that came with my fermenting bucket on and put my finger over the gromet and cover all the inside of the bucket and lid. On my buckets without lids, I use a spray bottle and coat the insides well and let it set for a while and repeat the process.

I'm probably wrong but I use the primary as a sanitizing sink and mix it there to clean all the tools, then they go on clean papertowels and I pour the sanitizer into a large stainless bowl for the little things that need cleaned along the way. In the process I turn the bucket so solution pours from the entire bucket lip and flood the lid so it goes down into the big o ring. You can tell when it weakens so I sprinkle a bit more till its strong again.

I'm probably wrong though but it seems effective and to the point.

Latest posts

Back