Cork sanitizer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
It couldn’t hurt but seems unnecessary. They don’t have to be bone dry, at least in my corker. I just float the corks on a water/Kmeta solution and just give a flick of the wrist to get the excess liquid off before corking.

It couldn’t hurt but seems unnecessary. They don’t have to be bone dry, at least in my corker. I just float the corks on a water/Kmeta solution and just give a flick of the wrist to get the excess liquid off before corking.
I agree Bob. I don't even spritz them. I just suspend them over the K-meta solution and let the gas do its work. I use Nomacorc's almost exclusively.

I agree Bob. I don't even spritz them. I just suspend them over the K-meta solution and let the gas do its work. I use Nomacorc's almost exclusively.

I am so glad you posted this. I was taught not to get the corks wet before bottling. On bottling day the first thing I do is mix a quart of water with sodium metabisulphite pour it in a 7.8 gallon bucket. Then I place my corks in a colander put it in the bucket without touching the solution and cover.

I am so glad you posted this. I was taught not to get the corks wet before bottling. On bottling day the first thing I do is mix a quart of water with sodium metabisulphite pour it in a 7.8 gallon bucket. Then I place my corks in a colander put it in the bucket without touching the solution and cover.
I am sure this would work well. I had an old salad spinner that I used before, so I got this one recently. I like the fact that I can spin the corks because I can change their orientation to assure that the gas hits every surface.

This is what I used to sanitize corks before bottling. I pour the K-meta solution into the bowl, put the corks in the basket and cover them for an hour or so. I have never tried it, but it occurs to me that one could spritz the corks with K-meta solution and then spin off the excess.

Amazon.com: Ozeri Italian Made Fresca Salad Spinner and Serving Bowl, BPA-Free: Home & Kitchen

I wonder if the red, green or white one spins at a faster RPM to disperse the air better. 😅 :slp

I am so glad you posted this. I was taught not to get the corks wet before bottling.
I’m curious to know the rationale behind that advice. Is it based on avoiding water, and why? Or because of the corker you use? It would seem to me that the Kmeta is mostly in solution, not evaporating above the surface.

I’m curious to know the rationale behind that advice. Is it based on avoiding water, and why? Or because of the corker you use? It would seem to me that the Kmeta is mostly in solution, not evaporating above the surface.
I can’t remember the reasoning behind it. It was early on in my winemaking and made sense at the time. Never had a bad bottle of wine. If this gas method didn’t work, what would I notice with the wine? I use a Portuguese floor corker.

@Ohio Bob: Have you ever stuck your nose over an open jug of Kmeta juice and INHALED? If you do this, please have someone standing by to help you to fresh air. However, my advise is don't do this.

YEARS AGO, say 1960s & 70s, I was advised to boil the corks before inserting. Bad idea, they deteriorated rather quickly, say about a year. If you are dead set to sanitize, use the fuming kmeta technique.

My personal method is: I buy corks by the 100 count and keep them in the original cellophane bag, opening and taking out the cork as needed, handling them by the long side with clean hands. Do not touch the round end. When finished corking I put the remainders (still in the cellophane) into a gallon size zip lock bag for storage.

@Ohio Bob: Have you ever stuck your nose over an open jug of Kmeta juice and INHALED? If you do this, please have someone standing by to help you to fresh air. However, my advise is don't do this.

YEARS AGO, say 1960s & 70s, I was advised to boil the corks before inserting. Bad idea, they deteriorated rather quickly, say about a year. If you are dead set to sanitize, use the fuming kmeta technique.

My personal method is: I buy corks by the 100 count and keep them in the original cellophane bag, opening and taking out the cork as needed, handling them by the long side with clean hands. Do not touch the round end. When finished corking I put the remainders (still in the cellophane) into a gallon size zip lock bag for storage.
I do the same. Out of a bag of 100. They smell pretty clean to me.

I can’t remember the reasoning behind it. It was early on in my winemaking and made sense at the time. Never had a bad bottle of wine. If this gas method didn’t work, what would I notice with the wine? I use a Portuguese floor corker.
I believe I read somewhere a long time ago 😁 that if you insert corks wet with K-meta, theoretically there is a gap between the cork and the bottle. As the solution dries, it leaves K-meta crystals between the cork and the glass preventing a good seal.

I’ve always used Straight-A for sanitizer. It’s supposed to turn to water, something like hydrogen peroxide. Since my brew shop closed, I haven’t been able to find it locally.

I am curious about this as well. When I first started making wine, I found advice to soak corks in Kmeta solution to both sanitize them and make them easier to insert using a hand corker. I can see how boiling the corks could damage them, but getting them wet? If they were damaged by water, they wouldn't be much good for sealing bottles of wine.

I’ve always used Straight-A for sanitizer. It’s supposed to turn to water, something like hydrogen peroxide. Since my brew shop closed, I haven’t been able to find it locally.
Scratch that. I use 1Step for sanitizing. Straight-A for cleaning. I always get those mixed up.

I do the same thing, excepting I keep the corks in the original bag. I press the air out, fold the top over 3 or 4 times, and use an office binder clip to seal the bag.

Commercial wineries I'm familiar with slice the bag of 1,000 corks and dump it into the hopper of the bottling line. There is nothing remotely resembling sanitizing the corks. If stored properly, they are clean and dry from the factory, and there's nothing for anything to grow on.

I do the same thing, excepting I keep the corks in the original bag. I press the air out, fold the top over 3 or 4 times, and use an office binder clip to seal the bag.

Commercial wineries I'm familiar with slice the bag of 1,000 corks and dump it into the hopper of the bottling line. There is nothing remotely resembling sanitizing the corks. If stored properly, they are clean and dry from the factory, and there's nothing for anything to grow on.
Makes sense. Like I said they smell real clean when I open the bag

Latest posts

Back