Sanitizing bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use straight k-meta solution to rinse the inside of each bottle, then hang each bottle on a bottle tree for 5-10 minutes.

For sanitizing, I believe that there is nothing actually wrong with using NA-meta. I prefer K-meta because potassium is naturally occurring in grapes. Not so with Na.

Citric acid is very harsh. I would be too worried about it making my wine more tart or my PH changing (even though the amount is minimal).

I use Sodium Metabisulfite now and can not wait until I run out of it. It has an extremely strong smell to it that will take your breath away, especially if you have breathing problems.

Indeed on taking your breath away!! However you're not going to be breathing it and the strong smell tells you it is functioning as it should :rdo

K-Meta, acid, rinse, no-rinse ......

I use 3 Tbls. K-Meta and 1 Tbls. Tartaric Acid in one gallon spring water for sanitizing. I don't wait more than a couple of minutes before using equipment like racking cane, hoses, carboys, etc. I drain the sanitized bottles maybe 10 minutes. I've tried rinsing and not rinsing and cannot detect any difference in the wine, young or old - even some Cabernet I have that's 5 years old!

Back