Safety

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine deacon

Junior
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to making wine and beer. I recently finished my second batch of wine and first batch of beer.All from kits. I've been reading a lot of the prior posts and I'm starting to understand the purposes behind the different chemicals/additives involved. Quick question... Are there any safety issues involved with home brewing/winemaking? Are any of these chemicals/additives dangerous if added in wrong amounts or atimproper times? I'm guessing not (unless added in extreme amounts), but figured I would throw it out there.

Can I sample the wine/beer at each stage to learn how it changes and progresses?

Also, I've been doing Vintner's Reserve kits. Are there any Vintner's Reserve kits that come with oak?

Thanks for any input.

Wine Deacon,

Welcome to the forum. We always like new members.

Regarding the chemicals, they are completely safe when used by following the manufacturers instructions. Whether you have a kit or a jar of chemicals, the proper dosage is always included with a kit or on the label of a jar.

Sulfites can be dangerous, especially to asthmatics or persons with lung ailments. It is important that you not over sulfite your wine. Once again, if you follow the instructions, this will not be a problem to most people as the level of sulfites in home made wines is generally half of the amount you will find in commercial wines.

The bigger issue with sulfites is when using them for sanitization. If you make a sulfite solution for this purpose, you can store it for several months; however, it does emit a strong odor than can severly affect asthmatics, like me. Don't ever stick your nose in to a solution of sulfite. Always stand away from the opening and fan some smell towards you.

Sampling your wine at the various stages is not only a good practice but part of the fun of home wine making. Sample, away!

The following Vintner Reserve kits come with oak:

Chianti, Valpolicella, Cab/Sauvigon, Vieux Chateau du Roi, Barolo, Mezza Luna Red, Mezza Luna White and Chardonnay.

In addition, you can always add oad during the bulk aging phase.

Hi wine deacon! Welcome to the forum. We are very glad to have you here. Please post often. We love to answer questions and just chat also. It gives us something to do!

smiley20.gif

Back