Safe Headspace for a Couple of Weeks? (see pic)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super_coo

Junior
Reaction score
Hi guys I've transferred my wine kit for the last time but have not filtered yet and I'm wondering based on the picture if it's safe to leave it for a couple of weeks before filtering and bottling. The airlock is raised so does that mean there's enough CO2 in there to keep it safe?

image.jpeg

It would be better if you have a similar wine to top off with. Are you getting any activity through the airlock? If so it might be ok but if not I would top off.

Yes, it would be OK, even Wine Expert is now saying on their kits that you don't need to top off for the short period of time (~10 days) that you wait between clearing and bottling. That said, it is always a best practice to top off and a must do if you plan on any period of bulk aging (or rack down to smaller vessel).

I personally like the top off with the half bottle required, drink the other half. WIN/WIN! :sm

Thanks for the responses. I don't believe there was any airlock activity, but it seemed to stay at the top.
I did end up topping it up to 1" below the airlock bung, it took nearly the whole bottle but I guess better safe than sorry.
I think from now on I'll just always top it up, it's not like it takes long.

That is the best practice that you can have. At this point, your wine is not producing any CO2, so you can assume that there is nothing but are in that headspace. I would be also doubly concerned that the wine is a rose and not a deep red wine. In other words, your wine probably has less in the way of tannins to protect it against the elements.

Actually the wine is a white Chardonnay if that makes a short term difference, I should have mentioned that in the first post sorry.

I have done this in the past but gas the carboy to protect it...

Sam

Thanks for the responses. I don't believe there was any airlock activity, but it seemed to stay at the top.
I did end up topping it up to 1" below the airlock bung, it took nearly the whole bottle but I guess better safe than sorry.
I think from now on I'll just always top it up, it's not like it takes long.

Good decision

Latest posts

Back