WineXpert Rumors of a new limited release from Winexpert

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone else's Bravado start at the low end of the SG scale? Mine started at 1.082 which is still within spec (1.100-1.080), but just barely. I stirred the crap out of the juice after topping it up to 23L and after I added the jammy grape pack, stirred that to death as well. Just wondering. 24 hrs after pitching, it's rockin' and rollin' and smelling great.

I just started mine tonight. Before dropping the grape skins, I'm at 1.070. Will let it set overnight and check again tomorrow morning. If it's too low, I may jack it a bit with a simple syrup.

Did anyone else's Bravado start at the low end of the SG scale? Mine started at 1.082 which is still within spec (1.100-1.080), but just barely. I stirred the crap out of the juice after topping it up to 23L and after I added the jammy grape pack, stirred that to death as well. Just wondering. 24 hrs after pitching, it's rockin' and rollin' and smelling great.

I did 2 batches and both started right around 1.080.

Thanks for the replies. I think there might have been a lot of sugar in that jammy grape bag that came out later. I just read a thread about going bagless with the grape pack and that sounds like a good way to go.

The only problem with not using the bag is you lose a lot of juice doing the 1st racking. I also add all my wood shavings to the bag.

I was around 1.085 this morning. Added simple syrup to 1.094.

I'd check the SG again later today before pitching the yeast....I think it will be much higher.

Did you squeeze the skins really well this morning, mix it well and then checked the SG?

The only problem with not using the bag is you lose a lot of juice doing the 1st racking. I also add all my wood shavings to the bag.

My method is to add them loose, when going to glass, dump primary into another one through a mesh bag. Put the mesh bag in a little tabletop fruit press and press it. More extraction from free floating fruit, and more juice from the pressing.

My method is to add them loose, when going to glass, dump primary into another one through a mesh bag. Put the mesh bag in a little tabletop fruit press and press it. More extraction from free floating fruit, and more juice from the pressing.

Pretty much what I do so I don't lose any more than I would have using the bag in the first place. Feels like I get better contact with the juice but maybe it doesn't matter.

We're a few days in and the SG is somewhere around 1.050-ish. I punch and stir twice daily. The darker toast oak provides a bit of earthiness in the wine room. Looks and smells awesome otherwise. Big wine that will probably be a little hot initially. I'm okay with that. [emoji41]

Day 8 and we're at 1.005 and 75*. Time to put the ST in its new home.

There's a lot of junk at the bottom. Doing some "advanced wine recovery" because the cane kept getting clogged towards the end of racking.

Last edited:
My lees half filled a gallon glass jug and I have had it in the fridge since Friday when I racked off. It now has about 2.5" of wine on top that needs to be recovered.

My lees half filled a gallon glass jug and I have had it in the fridge since Friday when I racked off. It now has about 2.5" of wine on top that needs to be recovered.

I think I salvaged about 1.5 liter. There's a good inch or so at the bottom of the carboy that will settle over the next week. Then, we clarify; oak and age 6 months...

The wine is bigger than the LE14 Super by quite a bit. Deeper color, bigger nose. Thinking back, I really should have been more patient with the LE.

I need to pick this kit up. I have a CC cab going into secondary in the next few days, and was thinking about starting the GSM but I might have to do the Super Tuscan...

I just picked this one up on sale. An earlier poster said it came with RC-212 and EC1118 for yeast

Did everyone pitch both or just use 1.

The Super Tuscan for 2014 had 2 yeasts and I just used the 212 with no issues

thx. cheers

Thx Jim

I guess I should try my 2014 LE and see how it turned out

cheers

Back