WineXpert Rumors of a new limited release from Winexpert

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not read this. Bentonite is a clearing agent. Some people do it during fermentation some do it afterwards.

From what I read, *IF* you plan on using it, it should always be during fermentation because after fermentation requires much more bentonite. The reason being is that during fermentation, the CO2 gas helps circulate the bentonite by attaching to the CO2 bubbles and as the bubbles rise and reach the top. They pop which then allows the bentonite to move in the must. Which then allows other floating particles to attach to the bentonite helping the clearing process.

Bentonite strips the wine (which is what clearing is), if you have to use more. You stripe more of the wine which is a negative in most cases.

While some people do not like to use clearing agents, bentonite is probably one I would use before chitosan. Just for the fact that it helps stabilize the wine and of course removes much of the haze causing particles which can be difficult to remove without clearing agents sometimes I've heard.

Most of the time I believe 15 grams is considered enough during fermentation for six gallon kits. Post fermentation can require 5x as much! :sh (I suppose you can use the same amount after fermentation, but you will be stirring the must early and very often to get the same effects) It is interesting that this kit comes with 2x the bentonite. I suppose it has something to do with the contents of the juice and skins packs requiring heavier clearing requirements in the early processes.

As I said though. I'm with you in that I would use the bentonite before the chitosan.

You are correct. I meant to type "during" fermentation, rather than during clearing.

Mine arrived, just as I was typing the above response. Unfortunately it's waiting in line for the fermenter behind four other kits.

Mine arrived, just as I was typing the above response. Unfortunately it's waiting in line for the fermenter behind four other kits.

My fermentor is currently empty. I held off starting my Mosaic kit as I expected this one to arrive this week. I will start it on Saturday.

The Mosaic can wait for this one. :h

My fermentor is currently empty. I held off starting my Mosaic kit as I expected this one to arrive this week. I will start it on Saturday.

The Mosaic can wait for this one. :h

I would do the same if the kits in front of it were nearly as new, but they have a limited shelf life. The Mosiac is #2 in my line up of 5 kits waiting for fermentation.

Was going to start this one quick but stumbled on 56 pounds of ripe Jersey tomatoes today... So, starting 10 gallons of tomato wine tomorrow

Just made mine this morning and it's now sitting next to a dry hopping IPA.

Rocky that quite a stash you have there. I was curious, why do you have some carboys sitting out and others in the boxes protected from the light?

JSBecton, good question. The ones that are uncovered are in the secondary phase of production. All of the covered ones are at some point in bulk aging. It would probably be prudent to cover at least the white wines in secondary.

I did a little administrative work today in order to free up some carboys. I had forgotten my demijohn and my mega jug, both of which hold about 14 gallons. I moved my Pinot Grigio and my Traminer-Riesling into these vessels and some ancillary stuff and freed up 6 carboys. I also took the opportunity to cover my newest bench with vinyl flooring. Works great, cleans up easily and wears very well. It also adds some softness to the surface because of the foam backing.

Guess who showed up today? The Three Amigos! But I am maxed out on my fermenting capacity so they will have to wait for some wine to be bottled.

I showed the pics to my wife and said that this is something I aspire to. She said she thinks we both have a problem. If that is a problem, I want to dive in head first and even go to counseling about it. :db

Thank you, Opus. This is an interest that has gotten completely out of hand but my wife and I thoroughly enjoy it. I was into classic cars (Packard's) before this and she had zero interest in the "old metal." This is much less expensive and we can both enjoy (literally) the fruits of our labor.

Two months later, how is everyone's Bravado coming along?

My brother recently got his first inkling of wine making with an SE Malbec w/skins. He bought it, I tended to it and we split it up at bottling. I suggested he think about a half dozen other kits because the Malbec has mixed reviews. But, he insisted... On bottling day, I let him taste the four kits I had in bulk aging. they made him go "wow." The Malbec made him go, "hmmm." So we're both hoping it ages well.

Yesterday, he asked to do another "I'll buy, You fly." This time, though, I gave him a list of six kits to choose from, with the Bravado being one. The only other one on the list that I didn't have in my arsenal of wines was the Nebbiolo. The rest - cab, zin, merlot, Amarone - are all just bottled or bulk aging nicely. He picked the Bravado.

Rather than take half a batch of one wine, I suggested that he mix and match from my stock of wines instead. That way, he could get a better sense of what he likes best (and we can make more of that).

Love Label Peelers, btw. Ordered yesterday afternoon (excellent price as always), scheduled delivery today. Can't beat it.

Last edited:
Mines still sitting in its box in my office, as my personal vow is to add real skins to any red kits I do. Used up all my skins, so it's waiting til after pressing fall grapes.

I have one Bravado bulk aging and just pitched the yeast on a 2nd batch. All indications are this is going to be a winner.

Last edited:
So, I got my Bravado today. And, I'm seeing two packs of oak chips and one pack of oak cubes. Do I dump all the chips in the primary and the cubes in the finish?

Without seeing the instructions, I'm saying yes. That's the typical approach. Chips/Dust in Primary. Some kits will have you using the cubes during clearing, but I usually wait so I can leave them in for 6-8 weeks.

BTW, put the chips into the mesh bag along w/ the grapes (in case you don't already do that). It'll make that first racking A LOT easier.

Without seeing the instructions, I'm saying yes. That's the typical approach. Chips/Dust in Primary. Some kits will have you using the cubes during clearing, but I usually wait so I can leave them in for 6-8 weeks.

BTW, put the chips into the mesh bag along w/ the grapes (in case you don't already do that). It'll make that first racking A LOT easier.

I started doing that recently (a big bag of awesome). Racking is easier and you lose less wine.

Life is getting in the way of my wine making. The Bravado and Old Vine Zin are still in their boxes in my office...maybe by the middle of the month...if I get the redhead's landscaping project finished, I hate big rocks, little rocks, and medium sized rocks now!

Did anyone else's Bravado start at the low end of the SG scale? Mine started at 1.082 which is still within spec (1.100-1.080), but just barely. I stirred the crap out of the juice after topping it up to 23L and after I added the jammy grape pack, stirred that to death as well. Just wondering. 24 hrs after pitching, it's rockin' and rollin' and smelling great.

Latest posts

Back