Rotten egg smell...need help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pightr

Reaction score
I know I have had a smelling posting already lol but it was never said what to do when you do have a rotten egg smell. I just added metabisulphite,sorbet, and clearing agent along with my F-pack to my WE kit of Island mist strawberry white merlot. When I went to check the sg as the instructions said to check to see if it is between 1.010-1.018 and it was sitting at 1.010. But when I brought up the wine thief there was a very potent rotten egg smell coming from the carboy. I have degassed and there is still a hint of this smell still in the wine. It is not completely degassed yet but I am in the process of it. Any help on how to fix this smell or what it actually means and if it will be harmful to the wine or not??? Thanks again for the help in advance!!!

Splash racking to introduce some air is a common treatment. Another remedy involves using copper to bind with the hydrogen sulfide.

Are you sure it's rotten egg? Metabisulfite has a sulfur smell too, could it be that you're just smelling this fresh addition of Kmeta?

Here's a quick read on hydrogen sulfide and available treatments: Stinky Wine

Last edited:
Kits are not usually culprits of this problem. Try splash racking though just to be sure.

i syphoned and ran the wine through a two foot xhalf inch copper pipe and let it pour into a clean carboy(full drop from top of carboy splashing as it hits the bottom)not gently..you want to mix air in the process .it saved my 5 gallon batch..:db

Thanks for the help and advice! I can't splash rack as of yet because I don't have a carboy available or bucket but after degassing a bit the smell has pretty much subsided. I was very worried there for a second. So I'm curious what could have caused this smell? The only things added to this Island mist strawberry white merlot were bentonite in the very beginning as the instructions said and 4 extra pounds of sugar. The smell was there before I added and sorbate, metabisulphite, or clearing agent or F-pack. Any ideas?

All fermentations have different smells. I havent fermented anything as of yet that smelled like one of my other fermentations. That being said kmeta can make it smell like this sometimes and I never even consider it an H2S problem if I have added any sulfites within a 2 week period of this smell.

All fermentations have different smells. I havent fermented anything as of yet that smelled like one of my other fermentations. That being said kmeta can make it smell like this sometimes and I never even consider it an H2S problem if I have added any sulfites within a 2 week period of this smell.

Thanks for the reassurance wade! I've also heard that the type of yeast I used which was Red Star-Montrachet. The smell has definitely subsided completely and well on its way to clearing. Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice!

Um yeah, that yeast is notorius for H2S problems, what did you ue for nutient and or energizer. I alway use 1 tsp of nutrient and 1/2 tsp of energizer per gallon and never have H2S problems and i use that yeast a lot, its not a good yeast for low nutrient musts.

Um yeah, that yeast is notorius for H2S problems, what did you ue for nutient and or energizer. I alway use 1 tsp of nutrient and 1/2 tsp of energizer per gallon and never have H2S problems and i use that yeast a lot, its not a good yeast for low nutrient musts.

I have never used a nutrient or energizer.. I've only made 3 kits so far and haven't used it in any of them. None of the instructions called for it from WE kits. Should I use it from now on?

Latest posts

Back