Rhubarb wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gird123

Reaction score
My rhubarb wine is very good except it tastes like Rhubarb. I did just a little oak. Very nice not as acidic as the last batch.

image-1058286518.jpg

I bought Rhubarb several years ago from Walkers. I hate rhubarb but this juice after fermentation didn't taste anything like it in my opinion. It was high in acid and I did have to add a bit of sugar to it. I thought it was very good and have been thinking about getting some more.

Rhubarb juice currently out of stock at Walkers, per website at least....but I bet it will be back any time now. I opened a bottle of 2011 rhubarb pineapple tonight, made with their rhubarb juice, and used Tim's recipe (from WE). It was the first bottle opened of this batch, and it is amazingly good. I think I will be entering this in my state fair. I did add chalk up front to balance things out.

I planted three crowns each of Victoria Red and ?Valentine? just shy of one month ago and my stalks are already 12-14" with leaves extending another 6-8". Here is to hoping these survive so I can make wine, jam, & rhubarb pies next year!

I was being sarcastic the rhubarb stuff is pretty good. If it makes it to a year it will be very good, I think.

After having a bottle of Dans Rhubarb I had to buy a 5 gallon bucket if Walkers Rhubarb myself and it too came out awesome. Its still 1 of my favs and 1 of the only wines I still drink to date as I dont really drink anymore.

I love rhubarb wine. I make it almost every year. I've made it sweet and I've made it dry. I've made it with added fruits (elderberries, raisins, etc) and I've made it just by itself. It is the most versatile wine for blending that I have found among the "fruits". I have bottles going back to 2000. One of these days I need to have a vertical tasting!

Greg, what yeast do you use? Also, what ph do you shoot for during pre fermentation? My rhubarb is very acidic so I try to get a starting ph of around 3.4 - 3.5, but my TA then is still very high. I have been using pot carb to modify the ph. Do you use that or chalk? Interested to hear what you have done.

I have never grown enough rhubarb to harvest for wine. Last year I bought Vintners Harvest rhubarb juice and the 96 oz made a very decent 3 gallons worth that is not too acidic.

My rhubarb from the garden is not too acidic. It's an older more green variety that I haven't identified. I freeze the rhubarb and then thaw and press out the juice. I add about the same amount of water as the juice I obtained back into the pulp, mash it up and press again. The combined pressings are not too acid. Actually I usually need to add some acid. But it has plenty of rhubarb flavor. I try to shoot for a TA ~6 g/L. My last batch I over shot that and it was about 8 g/L. It still tastes darn good though. I think the pre-ferment pH was ~3.0 - a little low. But I've had worse.

I avoid carbonate as much as possible so I tend not to use it.

Latest posts

Back