Fall Rhubarb wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also freeze mine tell I'm ready for it. The first time I bottled 4 gallons and back sweetened 1 gallon with a frozen strawberry daiquiri mix. After a year I much prefer the straight rhubarb but my sis prefers the strawberry.

2nd batch same year I back sweetened 3 gallons with frozen pineapple. It took forever to clear and I just bottled it. The taste is good so far. No real pineapple flavor more like a crisp white with a hint of something. I tried that after reading about a fellow who's been putting pineapple in his primary for years. I will try a few gallons next year with pineapple in the primary.

This years batch I added one of those 3 gallon white base wine kits to 5 gallons in place of water. Can't wait to try this one. Next year I will do both straight rhubarb and the pineapple in primary for a smaller batch. I have lots of rhubarb and it's fun to experiment.

I also freeze mine tell I'm ready for it. The first time I bottled 4 gallons and back sweetened 1 gallon with a frozen strawberry daiquiri mix. After a year I much prefer the straight rhubarb but my sis prefers the strawberry.

2nd batch same year I back sweetened 3 gallons with frozen pineapple. It took forever to clear and I just bottled it. The taste is good so far. No real pineapple flavor more like a crisp white with a hint of something. I tried that after reading about a fellow who's been putting pineapple in his primary for years. I will try a few gallons next year with pineapple in the primary.

This years batch I added one of those 3 gallon white base wine kits to 5 gallons in place of water. Can't wait to try this one. Next year I will do both straight rhubarb and the pineapple in primary for a smaller batch. I have lots of rhubarb and it's fun to experiment.
Love to hear about your experiments. I’m thinking of upping the ABV on part of my next rhubarb, increasing sugar and make it a dessert wine.

My crop of fall Rhubarb looks great and is fine in a pie. Anyone ever made fall rhubarb wine?
No, I always make mine in the early summer when there is a glut of rhubarb. Usually it's good and is the only one of my wines that I serve with a main course as it's like a dry white.

No, I always make mine in the early summer when there is a glut of rhubarb. Usually it's good and is the only one of my wines that I serve with a main course as it's like a dry white.
That's what I want from my rhubarb wine. Is there a recipe you can share?

Here's what I did. If you want a lighter tasting wine, cut back on the rhubarb. @GreginND has put his recipe for a lighter version on this site. He is a commercial winemaker.
Rhubarb Wine Recipe Used 3-25-22

35# of frozen rhubarb (figure 9.72#/gallon)—> 3.6gallons finished wine or 18 bottles.

Check pH—mine was 3.3, but if below 3.2, may want to sweeten with white grape or apple concentrate to raise pH to 3.3 or higher

Added 7.25# sugar to raise SG to 1.096.

1 tsp Nutrient/gallon

1 tsp tannin for 4 gallon must mixed in 1/2 Cup water before adding

Pitch EC-1118 yeast after temperature in range

Add FermAid-K at 1/3 sugar depletion. Approx 1.065

Run to dry (0.996 or close)

Check pH—may have risen (1st was 3.67 at this stage)

Rack then add K-Meta.

Wait 5 months racking a couple time in between to clear. When clear, bottle. May need to add gelatin finings to help clear better

Add Sorbate at 1/2 tsp/gallon and K-meta at back sweetening time. I raised SG to 1.012 with sugar to get to where we like the wine.

Latest posts

Back