Renaissance for Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
looking for some feedback on fav Renaissance yeast for a Chardonnay.

Thanks and Cheers!

I haven't made Chardonnay with a Renaissance yeast, but I'd use any of 'em. The only one not recommended for Chardonnay is TR-313, but I'd use it.

It all depends on what effect you want -- if you haven't, navigate to their product page and read the description -- then read what's on the Applications tab, which gives a good description out which grapes it's good for and what the outcome may be.

Next year I'd consider getting 2 bucket of Chardonnay and trying all 4 yeast in 3 gallon batches.

Is there a source for Renaissance yeast in small batches? Lodi Wine Lab has the Avante in small quantities. That one appears geared towards reds. Every other site is 500g bricks.

Is there a source for Renaissance yeast in small batches? Lodi Wine Lab has the Avante in small quantities. That one appears geared towards reds. Every other site is 500g bricks.
Lodi Wine Labs was selling in "barrel size" quantities for most strains, but this year they dropped back on a lot of home winemaker-sized packages.

I reached out to John at the Grape & Granary, Akron, Ohio, and he said he would look into carrying renaissance yeasts.
Thanks!

Something we should all keep in mind is that retailers carry a product only if it is profitable. They are in business to make a profit, not make our lives more convenient, although if those two things intersect, that helps everyone.

It will help if everyone interested in consumer quantities of Renaissance yeast (amounts far smaller than a 500 g brick) contact G&G to express interest. Give G&G a reason to take this plunge.

Allegro for Chardonnay would be my vote, especially if you plan to Sur Lie. TR 313, can give grapefruit aromas, which I feel is weird in chard. I actually used the TR313 on a syrah rose this year and is smell mostly of grapefruit, which seems weird in a rose as well. I did use TR313 and that smells good though. You can get get the Allegro 50g at Bosagrape for ~$13 Canadian plus shipping. It ends up being <$20 US after shipping.

checking back to see if anyone has found smaller sizes (ie. 50g) of the Renaissance yeasts for sale in the US?

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back