removing wine labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some great ideas thanks
im going to try to fill the bottles but if i have any trouble from there im going straight to the pressure washer:)

Seems like we have a few Tim "The Toolman" Taylors on here..... :) More power!!!!

Someone is going to say... "I just hook the pressure washer up to the dishwasher and fire away".......

What i do which works very well is, i put as many bottles standing up in a large cooler and then put some oxyclean in. After that i put the hottest water my faucet will produce on until it is filled.

After a couple hours of soaking pretty much just peel what labels are left off.

I did 12 cases like that in about 6 hours.

I use TSP as well works like a charm. I just have a 5 gallon bucket that will hold 5 or 6 bottles and i do 5 or 6 at a time and just keep the solution for the next 5 or 6 I get my hands on.

Always a great topic! I spent several years using the hot water and/or long soak in straight water (used to add a bit of KMBS to inhibit any growth). That worked for maybe 30-40 percent of bottles. Labels would float off or come off with light scraping. The rest still required a LOT of scraping. Now, I use PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) at 1oz per gal in a 5 gal bucket and a good 80% of the labels float right off in a couple days. Maybe another 10% still require a bit of scraping and the last 10% are just really stuck on and go in the recycling. Can't believe how much better it is with PBW. I thin OxyClean will work too but its essentially formulated as a detergent with scents and such that I'd rather not contend with down the line. Sure, I wash the bottles after but PBW isn't that expensive that I want to take any extra risk.

from digitaleye -
I think OxyClean will work too but its essentially formulated as a detergent with scents and such

They make a non dye -non scented and non chlorinated oxy clean

it has the green top

Someone around here, maybe JSWordy, bakes the bottles at low heat for a time and claims the labels and glue flake right off. Next time I run into a batch of labeled glass, I'm going to try this. For now I've grown soft, my LHBS is only 15 miles away, I just buy them. I do think the retreads I have are thicker glass than what I buy locally.

Someone around here, maybe JSWordy, bakes the bottles at low heat for a time and claims the labels and glue flake right off. Next time I run into a batch of labeled glass, I'm going to try this. y.

I do recall someone taking a heat gun to it

tsp is not food safe....it is used in almost all cereals you buy in the store, but its in very small qtys.
I make sure that I rinse a few times and then one step cleaner.
By that time there is no tsp left.
I dont think I would drink oxiclean,most household cleaners, are a bar of soap, but i use them to clean things, and myself.. Go figure.

They make a non dye -non scented and non chlorinated oxy clean

it has the green top

Great tip, I had no idea there were different versions. PBW isn't super expensive but if I can get the Oxi Free cheaper and locally that's a much better deal, Thanks

Latest posts

Back