reds vs whites fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrupjr

Reaction score
Do reds show more fermenting then white wines? Started my first batch of a Green Apple Riesling 3 days ago. I have to check the sg vs when I started but there doesn't seem to be as much excitement in the pail as there were with my red wines.

As long as my sg is dropping, I assume it means it is fermenting, right? (still learning)

I wonder if there might be more particles in the red than in the white and if so whether those particles might act as points where the CO2 gas nucleates and can form larger bubbles with with the addition of the same amount of energy. If the CO2 can more easily bubble and leave the must then you would see what looks like the red fermenting more vigorously than the white but the rate of fermentation (conversion of sugar to alcohol ) may be very similar .. The difference being that the CO2 leaves the red wine must in greater amounts than it does the white wine must and the CO2 in the white wine remains dissolved in the must

Bernard, that makes sense to me. I was thinking about it from the perspective of reds often containing skins. Having said that, however, one would think 23L of two wines, starting and ending SG equally, would have the same activity.

John, yes declining SG indicates fermentation.

I have done 2 whites at the same time and they acted very different. One foamed like crazy and the other nothing. The one without any foam finished before the foamy one. I would think it all depends on the wine as to what visible signs you will see.

Cheers

In Theory...

If the temp is the same, sugar content is the same, neutriants are the same, and the population of yeast is the same, then the fermentation is the same.

There are WAY too many variables that can account for the difference in fermentation rates.

My feeling is that the additional tannins and pigment should not greatly effect fermentation. In other words, I believe that (on a level playing field) fermentation rate are consistant and can be predicted and manipulated as needed.

johnT.

Back