Red Dog Vineyard and Nursery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandont02

Junior
Reaction score
Has anybody ordered from Red Dog in Iowa? I'm looking into ordering 4 or 5 Marquette vines, and they are really close to me and also a good deal.

Yes, I've ordered from them before. the vines were small, but very inexpensive also, and they all grew well.

Pat

Mixed results here. My last order (planted spring 2013) of potted plants had roughly a 30% die off rate.

If you want 5, I'd order 8-10. I ordered 20 Marquette and got 15 to grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I have never ordered from them but I can tell you that a 30% failure rate is unheard of from a reputable source. Out of thousands of vines from Double A Nursery, I have lost only a handful of vines and I can't recall ever losing a Marquette in the year of establishment. Now if you neglect them in a drought, all bets are off.

Sometimes the cheapest isn't the cheapest or best value.

I ordered a number of vines including Marquette from Double A Nursery last spring. They are all doing fantastic most reaching the top wire first year. I going to hate to prune them way back like they tell you to do after the first year.
Vinnie

I ended up buying my Marquette from Midwest Supplies; they did just fine. I lost 2/30 but that was due to extreme weather and rabbits, not the stock.

All of my other vines came from Double A. I've never had one fail to take. But I will say, double check that you get that confirmation email on your order. I ordered my Marquette there in a December but was busy and forgot to check for the confirmation email...everything appeared to process fine....come spring no vines, they had no record of order and I was out of luck and had to scramble to get them from Midwest.

Latest posts

Back