Red (Cabernet Sauvignon) is more brownish

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathleenbanz

Junior
Reaction score
This is my first attempt, and I am using a kit. Tastes good to me, but the color in the carboy is brownish. Will the color change after bottling for a few months? How much will the flavor change after bottling?

Was the juice this brownish color when you poured it out ov the bag in the box? Some retailors out there arent very reputable and sell kits that are way out of date. Do you still have the box this kit came in as there is a code on these boxes and in that code there is a date. In our kit area we have the breakdown on jow to read them. It is very possible though yhag its just the color of the must with all the yeast and additives and once done fermenting it will start to clear and return to red.

This is my first attempt, and I am using a kit. Tastes good to me, but the color in the carboy is brownish. Will the color change after bottling for a few months? How much will the flavor change after bottling?

How many days or weeks are you into the process. If you're talking early on, it's not uncommon for wine (especially whites, but sometimes reds, too) to not look like anything you'll want to drink. There's a lot of yeast activity and it takes time for all of that to settle out. In addition, wine in the carboy looks slightly darker than in the bottle.

If the wine looked good for a while and turned brown over time, you could have a serious problem. Get back and we'll get into that if necessary. Also, did you use metallic tools?

In answer to your last questions, many wines (especially more expensive kit wines) will age nicely over time. However, if anything wines will turn browner over time.

Tony P.

Last edited:
Thank you for the speedy input. Actually, the kit was a gift, and I procrastinated making it, so you are probably right on track. It looked ok,in concentrated form, and tastes great. Guess we will just have to drink this batch ourselves, and make a fresh one to give away to friends!

Thank you for the speedy input. Actually, the kit was a gift, and I procrastinated making it, so you are probably right on track. It looked ok,in concentrated form, and tastes great. Guess we will just have to drink this batch ourselves, and make a fresh one to give away to friends!

Hi Kathleen,

We need the answer to the question about what stage the wine is in - primary, secondary, clearing.
Please tell us what the date code is on the kit box.

And welcome to the forum!!!

There's no need to give up on it, particularly if it tastes OK. Continue along.

Tony P.

Browning in a finished wine is indicative of oxidation. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but its probably not going to improve. Depending on where it's at in its vinication, you might be able to bind up some of the color with so2.

Latest posts

Back