WineXpert Recommendations for low end Red kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byathread

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm a new winemaker looking to make a (relatively early-drinking) red kit to drink while waiting for a bigger one to age. Any recommendations? I'm trying to limit it to a WE VR or WE World kit. I've heard that blends might be a better bet for a low end kit...

Thanks in advance!

Faced with the same question for the exact same reason, I opted for WE Mezza Luna Red, based mostly on reviews. Its in bottles, but not long enough for me to tell you how good it is.

Or try the Numerous Variations of Dragons Blood. You will will find the recipes on this forum. Very Simple and people rave about it.

I would recommend you to follow Joeswine thread when good wines gone bad . He was making a World Vineyard Italian Sangiovese kit . Look for #324 all the steps with pictures to help you .

Mezza Luna all the way. the only kit I've made twice so far and surprisingly good for a lower-end kit, especially after about 2-3 months (if you can wait!). I have the Luna Rossa on now, it's big brother - can't wait to try it.

I've made both the WE Mezza Luna Red and the WE Coastal Red and I preferred the Coastal Red everyone else loved both. Just my taste YMMV. :re

Im a fan of the 6.1 L Paklab Reserva Chateax kits. I add 20 oz of Zante currants (Sunmaid), oak, peptic enzyme and oak tannin. I also add grape skins when I have them. You can get them on Amazon for as low as $40 some times. They drink well at 3 months.

The Nero/Cab is a deep red with a lot more body than you would expect.

I think they drink a lot earlier than the WE kits I've done.

my first kit was WE Vintner's reserve shiraz. It was very good after a couple weeks in the bottle with no extra aging. no oak needing to mellow out. the last couple bottles are now a year old and incredibly good.

i'd also recommend a green apple for an early drinker ... i know it's not a red .. but all my "red snobs" love the green apple ... somehow it hits the right tart & not-too-sweet notes that even someone that "always" drinks red still love!

I wanted to add another note about a good but cheap red. We opened the first bottle of the Paklab Chateaux Reserva, Red ZInfandel, that I bottled in July ( 6 weeks in bottle). It was very good. I had added 10 oz of Zante currents, 8 oz dried cherries, cup of med toast oak, peptic enzyme. NO kit taste, good body and feel. I was expecting that Nouveau bite but it wasn't there.

Last edited:
why the peptic enzyme in a kit and how much do you put in?
I assume you put everything in the primary.

1 tsp, to the primary, because I am adding extra fruit solids. It's more for insurance against clouding issues and to get all the benefit from the added fruit.

Thanks to everyone for the input / and possible kit tweaks

Thanks to everyone for the input! I've been pointed to and read lots of interesting threads about different ways to achieve an inexpensive but quality early-drinking red (either via radical tweaking or more direct approaches). I *intend* to keep things a little more simple this time around and have ultimately decided to go with WE Mezza Luna Red which is on its way. However, being one of those folks that have a *really* hard time coloring between the lines, I'm considering couple of simple tweaks. Namely:

1) Adding 8-16 oz zante currants
2) and perhaps some tannin or oak cubes to primary.

I have been making mead for almost ten years, so I've developed a good feel for fermentation, used tannin and oak on many occasions, and most importantly, have learned patience (I still have 20 bottles of a most excellent 8 year old dry Orange Blossom mead). But, the goal of this batch is to have some enjoyably drinkable red wine in 3 months, with perhaps a modest improvement over an evidently solid kit. I'm excited to start a CC Red Mt Cabernet immediately afterwards and plan to bulk age this for a year before bottling.

Any suggestions on my potential tweaks? Amount of currants or oak? Or ditch the tweaks and establish a baseline for a solid low end kit?

Thanks to all. Really enjoying this forum.

Cheers!

Last edited:
That will be a good tweak. I use 2 boxes of SunMaid Zante currants, 20 oz. Usually in a bag. If you are using oak chips I would use them in the primary. If you use cubes, in the secondary or at clearing.

If you are making the kit totally dry and not back sweetening, I would skip the K-sorbate. That adds a "kit-taste" that slows the early drinking aspect.

I use the 5 gal paint strainer bags from Home Depot. under $3 for 2 bags.

I bottle right away, so I need discipline to stay out my Red Mt kit (9/2013) but it was a WOW with body and depth at bottling.

Last edited:
I will certainly use a bag for the currants, and would never use Sorbate on a dry wine. Thanks Kevin!

Anyone else care to share their 2 cents on the possible tweaks above?

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back